Provide objective analysis and information to management and those charged with governance to support County and School Goals benefiting the community.
Established September 1978, Internal Audit provides an independent function to conduct performance audits, special projects, and investigate reports of fraud, waste, or abuse. Our quality control system to comply with Government Auditing Standards is evaluated through Triennial Peer Reviews (PDF) by the Association of Local Government Auditors (ALGA). Our latest peer review, completed October 2017, marks 21 consecutive years of program participation. Internal Audit reports directly to the County Administrator in all county matters and the School Superintendent for all school matters, and to the governing Body through the Audit and Finance Committee.
Professional credentials held by staff includes: certified public accountant (CPA), certified internal auditor (CIA), certified information systems auditor (CISA), certified government audit professional (CGAP), chartered global management accountant (CGMA), and certified fraud examiner (CFE) with participation in various professional organizations including:
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE)
- Association of Local Government Auditors (ALGA)
- Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA)
- Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA)
- Virginia Government Finance Officers Association (VGFOA)
- Virginia Local Government Auditors Association (VLGAA)