Commercial Facade Improvement Program
The Commercial Façade Improvement Program is designed to assist with exterior improvements, correct code violations or deficiencies, and promote design improvements that increase vibrancy and ultimately promote more business activity in the county’s older commercial corridors. Funding for the Commercial Façade Improvement Program is provided with federal Community Development Block Grant Funds (CDBG).
Grants are available on a first come first served basis to eligible program participants. Grants will be provided in an amount up to 50% of the total project cost, with a maximum subsidy of $50,000 per structure. The applicant must use their own private funds to match the County’s Grant.
To be considered for the program, applicants must:
- Be located within the County’s five CDBG commercial zones that are located along the U.S. Route 1, U.S. Route 60, and U.S. Route 360 corridors are eligible for participation in the façade improvement program.
- Buildings must have an existing commercial or industrial occupancy (includes office and retail), or are under renovation for that use.
- The proposed improvements must include façade improvements. A façade is a building’s primary exterior face, generally the front and sides of a building.
Eligible improvements include, but are not limited to:
- Exterior building renovations/improvements, such as construction of new entryways
- Exterior lighting
- Masonry, repointing/painting
- Awnings (must not comprise more than 25% of total project budget)
- Roof repairs/replacements related to structural improvements that hold the façade in place
- Street trees in areas visible to the public
- ADA/safety requirements that are on visible exterior
How to Apply
A property or business owner interested in participating in this program must submit a completed, signed application (PDF), along with the required submissions to:
Department of Community Enhancement
P.O. Box 40
Chesterfield, VA 23832
If you have questions specific to the program, please contact Kathleen Thompson, CDBG and HOME Grants Administrator, by email.
Maps of Eligible Areas
- Hull Street Road - Chippenham Parkway to Walmsley Boulevard (PDF)
- Hull Street Road - Walmsley Boulevard to Genito Road (PDF)
- Midlothian Turnpike - Chippenham Parkway to Powhite Parkway (PDF)
- Midlothian Turnpike (PDF)
- Midlothian Turnpike and Robious Road (PDF)
- Route 1 - Route 288 to West Hundred Road (PDF)
- Route 1 - Ruffin Mill Road to County Boundary (PDF)
- Route 1 - Swineford Road to Norcliff Road (PDF)
- Route 1 - Swineford Road to Route 288 (PDF)
- Route 1 - Walmsley Boulevard to Swineford Road (PDF)
- Route 1 - West Hundred Road to Ruffin Mill Road (PDF)