Supporting a High-performing Workforce
The Chesterfield County Department of Human Resources (HR) provides programs and services in support of a high-performing workforce and organizational excellence. Our objectives are to:
- Attract and retain quality employees
- Partner with customers to create business solutions that meet their needs, and build relationships with organizational leadership
- Promote and encourage employee engagement and empowerment
- Provide an attractive total rewards package
- Provide HR expertise to customers
Human Resources services include:
- Compensation and benefits
- Human Resources information and records
- Human Resources consultation and compliance
- Medical services and wellness programs
- Recruitment and employment
Working and Volunteering in Chesterfield County
Employees and volunteers are an integral part of Chesterfield County delivering vital services and programs to our residents and community.
Virginia Values Veterans
Chesterfield County is an official Certified V3 Company and has made a public commitment to hire veterans into our workforce.
Top Workplace Awards
Nestled in the heart of Central Virginia and essential to both its history and its future, Chesterfield County is among the region’s top places to live and play. It’s also become one of the area’s best places to work and that has never been truer than it is today.
Recognized by Fortune 500, Top Workplaces and a host of others, Chesterfield boasts a workforce of more than 4,000 that serves a population of 365,000. The county government plays an integral role in making Chesterfield a First Choice Community and one that thrives in large part because of its dedicated and diverse workforce as well as its essential culture of customer service.
Not only does Chesterfield offer healthcare, dental, retirement, competitive compensation, and 12 paid holidays but the county also provides a rich group of additional benefits such as career development plans, parental leave, teleworking opportunities for many positions, tuition reimbursement, employee resource groups, wellness programming, and an employee medical center right on campus.
While many local governments subscribe to older ways of doing things, Chesterfield moves at the speed of business. Though the county lives in the public sector, it also thinks much in the way of the private sector. That has allowed the organization to adapt to developing trends and offer employees and customers alike the types of rewarding experiences that each deserves.
The business community has long seen Chesterfield County as one of the area’s top employers, and that’s a reputation the organization is both honored to receive and determined to continue earning. Working in Chesterfield County and being part of the culture it provides is essential to the experience of those in a wide range of jobs, departments and classifications. At Chesterfield County, every employee’s job is part of a bigger picture.
Following is a list of the recent Top Workplace awards that Chesterfield County has received based on employee feedback:
- Top Workplaces USA 2023: This award celebrates nationally recognized companies that make the world a better place to work together by prioritizing a people-centered culture and giving employees a voice. The Top Workplaces USA award is based entirely on feedback from an employee engagement survey completed by the employees of participating workplaces.
- National Top Workplaces Award 2022: Following an employee engagement survey, this award is given to organizations with the greatest employee engagement among employers within the same size band.
- Richmond Times-Dispatch Top Workplaces Award 2022: Similar to the National Top Workplaces Award, this award is presented to employers in the Richmond region with the highest overall employee engagement ratings compared to other organizations in the same size band.
- Top Workplaces Culture Excellence Award for Work-Life Flexibility 2022: As part of the same employee engagement survey, this award honors organizations that have built a culture that enables employees to meet the demands of their personal lives while maintaining high performance.
- Forbes Best-in-State Employers 2021: Awarded to employers with over 500 employees who are among the highest-ranked based on an anonymous survey of 80,000 US employees across 29 industries.
- Top Workplaces Culture Excellence Award for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Initiatives 2021: As part of the evaluation following the employee engagement survey, this award recognizes employers with exceptional diversity, equity and inclusion practices.
Mary Martin SelbyDirector of Human Resources
9901 Lori Road
Third Floor, Room 302
Chesterfield, VA 23832
9901 Lori Road Third Floor, Room 302 Chesterfield VA 23832
Chesterfield County Department of Human Resources
P.O. Box 40
Chesterfield, VA 23832
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.