Frequently Asked Questions
- Business License FAQs
- Business Tangible Personal Property FAQs
- Disabled Veterans Tax Relief FAQs
- Elderly and Disabled Tax Relief FAQS
- Machinery & Tools FAQs
- Personal Property FAQs
- Short-Term Rental FAQs
- Surviving Spouse of KIA Tax Relief FAQs
- State Taxes (Individuals) Income FAQs
- Technology Zone Incentives FAQs
- What is meant on the application by "gross receipts"?
- What if I have multiple locations or multiple lines of business?
- Are flat-fee licenses paid in addition to gross-receipts-based licenses?
- Which businesses do not use "gross receipts" on line one of the business license application?
- What about operating under a trade name different than my own?
- What if I incorporate or create an Limited Liability Companies (LLC)? Are the rules different for me?
- I am a contractor. Does my contractor’s license from the state count as my business license? Or vice-versa?
- If my gross receipts are under $200,000, and I am doing a business that is supposed to be based on gross receipts, do I still have to calculate my tax, or just pay the minimum fee?
- If my gross receipts are under $10,000, and I am doing a business that is supposed to be based on gross receipts, do I still have to get a business license?
- If I do not renew my business license, am I considered out of business?
- What is Business Tangible Personal Property (BPP)?
- What is the due date for the business tangible personal property tax return?
- Can I get an extension of time to file the return?
- What is the tax rate?
- What if I went out of business?
- What if I purchased or recapitalized an item on January 1?
- What if I am a sole proprietor and I own the equipment personally?
- What if I own no equipment?
- Do you allow for technological obsolescence?
- What if I do not depreciate anything?
- What do I need to attach to my form?
- How do I apply for the Veteran's Tax Relief Program?
- How can I prove I am eligible to receive the tax relief?
- Do I have to file for this tax relief every year?
- What is the deadline date to file for this tax relief?
- Does it matter whose name is on the deed?
- What if I own multiple homes within the county, which home do I get the tax relief exemption for if I qualify?
- What property does the tax relief exemption cover?
- Can I get the tax relief if I own and live in a mobile home?
- Can my spouse continue to receive the tax relief exemption after I am deceased?
- Do I need to report any of my income to qualify for the veteran’s tax relief exemption?
- What are the requirements to be eligible for tax relief on real estate and mobile homes?
- Where can I get an Elderly and Disabled Tax Relief Form?
- Is there assistance in preparing my application?
- Can my child fill out these forms for me and be the contact for tax relief?
- Do I need to attach anything to my application?
- Who sets the personal property tax rate?
- How do I calculate the tax I must pay?
- Is my watercraft taxable if it's not registered with the game and inland fisheries?
- I have a child enrolled as a full-time student at Virginia Tech. Where should I report the car he drives for personal property tax purposes?
- Do I get a tax break for being a fire/rescue volunteer?
- Do I need to file another Volunteer Vehicle Certification form if I replace a certified vehicle during the tax year?
- Where do I pay personal property taxes if I am in the military and my home of record is Virginia?
- Where do I pay personal property taxes if I am in the military and my home of record is not Virginia?
- Do I qualify for the military exemption if the vehicle is jointly owned? Does my non-military spouse qualify for the exemption if the vehicle is titled solely in his/her name?
- Do I qualify for the vehicle tax exemption if I substitute as pastor at churches in the Richmond area?
- What is proration?
- If my personal vehicle is unused or unlicensed, do I still need to register and pay personal property taxes?
- What are the effects of certification as a short-term rental company?
- What is the application deadline for certification?
- Are there any extensions to the January 31 date for renewal applications for certification?
- What if a previously-certified short-term rental business misses the deadline for renewal or otherwise does not qualify for certification in a subsequent year?
- Are there any restrictions for the Real Estate Surviving Spouse Exemption (KIA)?
- How do I apply for the Surviving Spouse Exemption Program (KIA)?
- How can I prove I am eligible to receive the surviving spouse exemption?
- Do I have to file for the surviving spouse exemption every year?
- What is the deadline date to file for the surviving spouse exemption tax relief?
- Does it matter whose name is on the deed for the Surviving Spouse Exemption Program?
- What property does the surviving spouse exemption cover?
- Can I get the surviving spouse exemption if I own and live in a mobile home?
- Do I need to report any of my income to qualify for the surviving spouse exemption?
- To whom do I make my check out and where do I mail my tax return?
- When are the taxes and estimated payments due?
- Where can I get some assistance with the preparation of my state return?
- When can I expect my refund?
- How do I change my address after I have filed my return?
- Where can taxpayers get free assistance for federal tax preparation?
- What is the telephone number for the Department of Taxation in Richmond?
- Whom do I call if my refund check is incorrect?
- Can I pay state income tax by credit card?