Attention Building Inspection Customers
Per CDC recommendations, the Community Development Building is closed to the public until further notice.
- Inspections will continue to be performed.
- Permit applications sent via mail or commercial courier will be accepted and processed.
- Though customers are not allowed in the building, customer deliveries are being handled through the use of an exterior pickup/drop off cart located in the breezeway directly outside of the Community Development Building (9800 Government Center Parkway). Instructions are provided on the door and/or cart.
- The walk-thru permit process is suspended until further notice.
Please Note: Cash Proffers
Due to the evolving nature of circumstances related to COVID-19, the following information is subject to change at any time pending recommendations by health officials who are continually monitoring the situation. Check back often for updates.
Call the Department of Budget and Management at 804-748-1548 or email Budget and Management Director, Andrea Peeks, to schedule an appointment for payment. All calls and emails will be returned within 24 hours.
Cash proffer payments can also be mailed to Department of Budget and Management, 9901 Lori Rd, Chesterfield, VA 23832 or deposited in the Treasurer’s Drop box located outside of the Lane B. Ramsey Administration Building.
Be sure the building permit number, property address, and customer’s return address are included with all payments.
- Forms & Applications: View, download, and print (and "fill-in" some cases), Commercial and Residential forms and applications.
- Fee Schedules: View and download Commercial (PDF), Multi-Family (PDF), and Residential (PDF) fee schedules.
- Walk-thru Permit Process: Certain types of Commercial and Residential applications can obtain a permit during a single visit.
- Holiday Schedule: Office closures and how to schedule your inspection on the right day.
- Online Permit and Inspection Services: Use your computer to obtain permit status, inspection scheduling and inspection/plan review results.
- Inspection Scheduling by Phone: Interactive voice response system (IVR) allows customers to schedule, cancel, or reschedule inspections and obtain inspection results by phone.
- Permit Data & Monthly Activity Reports: View weekly and monthly permits issued and monthly permit activity reports.
- Report of Commercial & Residential Permits Issued: Obtain a lists of permits issued for a particular day by Chesterfield County Department of Building Inspection based on your search criteria.
Attention Home Builders/Gas Contractors
A temporary LP (propane) tank will no longer be required for approval for a Final Gas Inspection. A permit and inspections will continue to be required for installation of the permanent tank.
Please contact Jeff Brooks at 804-690-4471 with questions.
Chesterfield County is required to enforce the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (USBC) and the Statewide Fire Prevention Code (SFPC). Both codes are administered by the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development and reference the 2015 International Codes as published by the International Code Council.
- 2015 Virginia Construction Code (VCC) | USBC - Part I
- 2015 Virginia Statewide Fire Prevention Code (VSFPC)
- 2009 Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities (ICC/ANSI A117.1)
- 2015 Virginia Residential Code (VRC)
- 2015 Virginia Energy Conservation Code
- 2015 Virginia Mechanical Code (VMC)
- 2015 Virginia Plumbing Code (VPC)
- 2015 Virginia Fuel Gas Code (VFGC)
- 2014 National Electric Code (NEC)
- 2015 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code (ISPSC)
- 2015 Virginia Existing Building Code (VEBC) | USBC - Part II
- 2015 Virginia Maintenance Code (VMNC) | USBC - Part III
- 2015 Virginia Industrialized Building Safety Regulations
- 2015 Virginia Amusement Device Regulations
- 2015 Virginia Building and Fire Related Laws Package
Local Design Load Criteria
|Ground snow load||20 psf (0.94 KN/m2)|
|Frost depth||18 in. (45.7 cm.)|
Ultimate Wind Speed (Vult)
|Risk category I||105 MPH (47 m/s)|
|Risk category II & residential||115 MPH (51 m/s)|
|Risk category III||120 MPH (54 m/s)|