- Forms & Applications: View, download, and print (and "fill-in" some cases), Commercial and Residential forms and applications.
- Fee Schedules: View and download Commercial, Multi-Family, and Residential fee schedules.
- Walk-thru Permit Process: Certain types of Commercial and Residential applications can obtain a permit during a single visit.
- Holiday Schedule: Office closures and how to schedule your inspection on the right day.
- Online Permit and Inspection Services: Use your computer to obtain permit status, inspection scheduling and inspection/plan review results.
- Inspection Scheduling by Phone: Interactive voice response system (IVR) allows customers to schedule, cancel, or reschedule inspections and obtain inspection results by phone.
- Permit Data & Monthly Activity Reports: View weekly and monthly permits issued and monthly permit activity reports.
- Report of Commercial & Residential Permits Issued: Obtain a lists of permits issued for a particular day by Chesterfield County Department of Building Inspection based on your search criteria.
- Feedback: We like hearing from our customers! If you have suggestions on how to improve our website, please let us know by emailing BI Website Editor.
Chesterfield County is required to enforce the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (USBC) and the Statewide Fire Prevention Code (SFPC). Both codes are administered by the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development and reference the 2015 International Codes as published by the International Code Council.
- 2015 Virginia Construction Code (VCC) | USBC - Part I
- 2015 Virginia Statewide Fire Prevention Code (VSFPC)
- 2009 Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities (ICC/ANSI A117.1)
- 2015 Virginia Residential Code (VRC)
- 2015 Virginia Energy Conservation Code
- 2015 Virginia Mechanical Code (VMC)
- 2015 Virginia Plumbing Code (VPC)
- 2015 Virginia Fuel Gas Code (VFGC)
- 2014 National Electric Code (NEC)
- 2015 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code (ISPSC)
- 2015 Virginia Existing Building Code (VEBC) | USBC - Part II
- 2015 Virginia Maintenance Code (VMNC) | USBC - Part III
- 2015 Virginia Industrialized Building Safety Regulations
- 2015 Virginia Amusement Device Regulations
- 2015 Virginia Building and Fire Related Laws Package
Alternatively, building plans prepared in compliance with the 2012 edition of the above mentioned codes are acceptable for permits filed prior to September 4, 2019.
Local Design Load Criteria
|Ground snow load||20 psf (0.94 KN/m2)|
|Frost depth||18 in. (45.7 cm.)|
Ultimate Wind Speed (Vult)
|Risk category I||105 MPH (47 m/s)|
|Risk category II & residential||115 MPH (51 m/s)|
|Risk category III||120 MPH (54 m/s)|
New Navigation Pattern on Our Website
Chesterfield County's website redesign may be confusing at first, but this system upgrade allows us to expand online services such as electronic applications, electronic plan review, and on-line payments for Building Inspection, once all the pieces are in place. If you bookmarked your favorite Building Inspection pages on the old website by placing a shortcut on your desktop, you may want to replace them, marking information most important to you.
As always, we intend to improve our services and your access to information. We will be revising our pages as requests for improvement take place. If you have suggestions of your own, please email feedback to BI Website Editor.