New Residents to Chesterfield County

Chesterfield County is a first choice community in which to live, work, raise a family and play. More than 318,000 people make Chesterfield their home, and we credit the county's popularity to the excellent programs and services it provides, as well as the overall quality of life. To help make your transition as smooth as possible, we've compiled the following information.

Cooperative Extension

Extension is a joint program of Virginia Tech, Virginia State University, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and state and local governments. The Virginia Cooperative Extension provides programs and information covering the broad areas of agriculture, families and 4-H. Follow the links through the Virginia Cooperative Extension for details. Our goal is to help our citizens maintain and improve the quality of their environment.

County Registrations, Taxes & Fees

Automobiles: Vehicles must be registered within 90 days after moving into Virginia or the county. For more information, call 804-748-1281.

Personal property taxes: Personal property taxes are due on June 5 of each year. For more information, call 804-748-1201.

Real estate taxes: Real estate taxes are due and payable in two equal payments on June 5 and December 5 of each year. For more information, call 804-748-1201.

Voter Registration

Voter registration is available year-round at 9848 Lori Road. Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. For more information, call 804-748-1471.

Building Permits

Permits are required for erecting, or altering, a structure; enlarging finished space; and adding or installing new plumbing, gas, electrical or mechanical systems. Examples include construction of decks, porches, swimming pools, Florida rooms, sheds more than 150 square feet, carports and gazebos and the placement of mobile homes, finishing of unfinished space; installation of new wood stoves, gas logs, new central heating and air conditioning equipment; replacement of electrical panels; and installation of lawn sprinkler systems. A certificate of occupancy is required upon completion of a home prior to occupancy. For more information, call 804-748-1057.

For Emergencies, Call 911

The county has more than 400 police officers, 200 uniformed deputies, more than 400 career firefighters, approximately 155 active volunteer firefighters and 300 volunteer rescue-squad personnel.

Historic Landmarks

There is so much to see and do in Chesterfield County. Its rich history includes the Native Americans who lived here for thousands of years prior to the arrival of the first English settlers in 1611 to establish the second permanent settlement in the New World. That story is told at Henricus Historical Park, where Pocahontas lived before marrying John Rolfe. Tobacco was first cultivated at historic Bermuda Hundred and exported back to England as a cash crop. The first iron furnace was established in the New World at Falling Creek, and the first commercially-mined coal in North America was at Mid-Lothian Mines. Thomas Jefferson’s brother-in-law, Francis Eppes, build his Georgian-designed plantation house, known as Eppington, in 1768. The Historic Courthouse Green was the site of Colonial militia encampment and also the Baptist preacher trials in late 1700s, which resulted in religious freedom and liberties. The county also is the place of significant Revolutionary War and Civil War engagements. Magnolia Grange’s distinctive Federal-style architecture and rich history interprets life in a county mansion of the early 19th century. For information about other historic attractions, call 804-796-7121 or find historic sites and programs.


Library Card


Chesterfield County has more than 30 public parks and offers a variety of recreation programs. For the parks near you, or to be added to a mailing list of programs and activities, call 748-1623. An abundance of woods, wetlands and wildlife may be found at the 810-acre Dutch Gap Conservation Area. It is believed to be the only county-owned conservation area in the nation. Pocahontas State Park also is located in the county.

Trash & Recycling

There are two Convenience Centers located in Chesterfield County which provide citizens with safe and cost-effective waste disposal and recycling options.

Residents are responsible for contracting with private haulers for residential trash pickup.

Leaf burning is prohibited in most of the county.  For more information about leaf burning, please call the Life Safety Division at (804) 748-1426.

Recycling:  Residents may enroll in the county’s curbside recycling program by contacting the Central Virginia Waste Management Authority, CVWMA, at (804) 340-0900.  CVWMA can also provide additional information on container setup and pickup schedule. Residents in the county program are billed $40 annually ($20.00 in each half of the real estate bill) to support the program.   Residents can opt-out of the county’s curbside recycling program by calling Customer Service at 804-748-1297 or completing the Recycling Program opt-out form online.

Type of Government

A five-member Board of Supervisors, elected by district, governs Chesterfield County. The board appoints a county administrator, who directs the county’s day-to-day operations. The county has an annual budget of more than $812 million. Mail correspondence to your board representative or to the county administrator at:

P.O. Box 40
Chesterfield, VA 23832

You may also call:


Water and wastewater services: Call 804-748-1291 during business hours, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., excluding holidays. Chesterfield County provides water and wastewater services. A deposit maybe required for residential customers and a $300 deposit is required for all businesses or commercial customers that are renting. Residential tenants must bring an original, written lease for the property for which they are seeking service before the service can be established. There is a $15 fee to open an account.

Power & Gas, Cable, Internet & Phone Companies

Other household services are provided by private vendors and they should be contacted directly. Contact information can be obtained through the internet or the phone book.

Additional Services