Substance Misuse Facts & Resources
Designer drugs are synthetic drugs that have been chemically altered to circumvent drug laws. Some relevant facts include:
- Chemicals, classified as "not for human consumption," emerged in 2010, when they first became available online.
- Chesterfield County law-enforcement, medical, education and substance-abuse-treatment communities have become aware of the use of designer drugs throughout the greater Richmond area, including the use of a drug known as "25i."
- Use of these drugs has resulted in strong adverse effects, including medical and psychiatric hospitalization or death.
Information for Young People
- Most youths in Chesterfield County do not use illegal drugs.
- The illegal use of any substance (not just designer drugs) can lead to serious physical, legal, and educational consequences. The harmful effects of designer drugs are particularly unpredictable.
- If you are with someone who has used alcohol or other drugs and have any concern about their health or safety, call 911 immediately, followed by a call to a trusted adult.
- If you are concerned about your own or someone else's substance use, please use available resources.
Return to the Comprehensive Services homepage.
Read helpful steps and tips to assist you and your child in identifying and dealing with substance abuse.
Access helpful resources and services related to substance abuse and designer drug use treatment.
View a list of drug abuse symptoms and read about some common consequences to drug abuse.