The National Cyber Security Alliance has developed a list of the "Top Eight Cyber Security Practices." These practices include:
- Protect your personal information. It's valuable.
- Know who you're dealing with online.
- Use anti-virus software, a firewall and anti-spyware software to help keep your computer safe and secure.
- Be sure to set up your operating system and Web browser software properly, and update them regularly.
- Use strong passwords or strong authentication technology to help protect your personal information.
- Back up important files.
- Learn what to do if something goes wrong.
- Protect your children online.