Business Name Registration
Effective January 1, 2020
Assumed/Fictitious Name filings (other than Releases) are handled at the state level through the Commonwealth of Virginia’s State Corporation Commission (SCC). Forms are accessible on the SCC website.
Business Names Previously Registered
Recording an Assumed or Fictitious Name Release
- When submitting a Certificate of Release of Assumed or Fictitious Name on File in a Circuit Court through the mail, also enclose
- payment by check or money order
- self-addressed, stamped envelope for the return of the recordation receipt and any copies requested
- Form must be signed by the appropriate party(ies) in the presence of a Notary Public or a Deputy Clerk
- Parties appearing in the Clerk’s Office to have their signature acknowledged must present a driver’s license or government-issued photo I.D.
- Forms that are not properly executed and acknowledged cannot be recorded
Circuit Court Clerk
ATTN: Record Room
P.O. Box 125
Chesterfield, VA 23832-0909
Deliver in person
Circuit Court Clerk's Office
Record Room, Ground Floor
9500 Courthouse Road
Chesterfield, VA 23832
- Release recordation - $10. Payment types accepted
- Copy fees - $.50 per page + $2.00 per document for certification (if requested)
For additional information, please call the Clerk's Office at 804-717-6517 to speak with a staff member in the Record Room.