Business Name Registration
Business Names that Must be Registered with the Circuit Court Clerk
Before applying for a business license through the Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue, it is necessary to register the business name with the Circuit Court Clerk if the business will be operating under an assumed or fictitious name.
- sole proprietor's last name is in the name of the business
- business will be incorporated and will be conducting business under the corporate name
Registering a Fictitious Name
- Business owners are encouraged to research names already registered to ensure that the name to be registered is available.
- Official indexes of all fictitious names on record are available in the Circuit Court Record Room.
- When submitting a fictitious name certificate through the mail, enclose
- payment by check or money order
- self-addressed, stamped envelope for the return of the recordation receipt and any copies requested
Circuit Court Clerk
ATTN: Record Room
P.O. Box 125
Chesterfield, VA 23832-0909
Deliver in person
Circuit Court Clerk's Office
Record Room, Ground Floor
9500 Courthouse Road
Chesterfield, VA 23832
- Forms must be signed by the appropriate parties in the presence of a Notary Public or a Deputy Clerk.
- Parties appearing in the Clerk’s Office to have their signature acknowledged must present a driver’s license or government-issued photo I.D.
Please note that forms that are not properly executed and acknowledged cannot be recorded.
- CERTIFICATE OF ASSUMED NAME - Sole Ownership (PDF)
- CERTIFICATE OF ASSUMED NAME - Corporation or LLC (PDF)
- CERTIFICATE OF ASSUMED NAME - Co-Partnership (PDF)
- CERTIFICATE OF ASSUMED NAME - General Partnership (PDF)
- CERTIFICATE OF ASSUMED NAME - Limited Partnership (PDF)
- CERTIFICATE OF DISSOLUTION (PDF)
NOTE: Although use of the Clerk's Office's form is optional, business owners preparing their own document must ensure that they provide all information required by Virginia law.
- Fictitious name recordation - $10. Payment types accepted
- Certified copies of the recorded certificate - $2.50 each (add $.50 for each additional page if the document is more than one page in length).
Proof of Registration
- The Clerk's Office will issue a receipt that can then be presented to the Commissioner of the Revenue as proof that the business name has been registered.
For additional information, please call the Clerk's Office at 804-748-1241 and ask to speak to a staff member in the Record Room.