Public Comment Period
Update Regarding Changes in Board of Supervisors Meetings
Provide Comments Online for Virtual Board MeetingsDue to ongoing public health concerns related to COVID-19, Chesterfield County is encouraging citizens to provide comments online. Remaining consistent with the Board of Supervisors’ rules and procedures, each citizen has the opportunity to provide a comment, not to exceed 400 words, which is comparable to speaking for 3 minutes, during the citizen comment period for unscheduled matters. Comments are subject to the same rules as during the spoken citizen comment period and will be limited to the first 15 entries submitted using the online form. Only 1 entry per citizen will be accepted during this comment period on unscheduled matters. The portal will close at 5 p.m. on the day prior to the scheduled Board meeting in order to prepare comments for the public and the Board to see in a timely manner, prior to the Board meeting.
Opportunities for Public Comment
Each Board of Supervisors regular meeting has 3 public comment periods:
- At the end of the 3 p.m. work session
- At the 6 p.m. session following recognition and new business
- At the end of the 6 p.m. session following public hearings
Rules for Speaking During Public Comment Periods
- Each speaker is limited to 3 minutes, and each public comment period is limited to 15 minutes.
- Each person may only speak once per meeting during the public comment periods.
- Comments must be germane to county services or policies.
- Persons desiring to speak shall sign up prior to the meeting by contacting the Clerk to Board of Supervisors at 804-748-1200 or email Sara Hall or at the meeting prior to the afternoon or evening session.
- The Clerk will read the names, and comments will be given in the order of the sign-up sheet.
Persons speaking before the Board will not be allowed to:
- Campaign for public office
- Promote private business ventures
- Use profanity or vulgar language
- Address pending litigation or matters to be addressed at that meeting
- Speakers may not yield time to other speakers
- Speakers may not comment on any matter of business that is a subject on the board’s agenda for that day