Marriage Licenses, Copies, Name Change & Minister Authorization

  1. Obtain a License
  2. Obtain a Copy
  3. Change Your Name
  4. Minister Authorization

Obtaining a Marriage License

Access the Clerk’s automated marriage license application system - Using this online application will speed the marriage license issuance process.

Marriage licenses are

  • issued 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
  • valid for 60 days


  • Marriage must take place in Virginia.
  • A self-addressed, stamped envelope should be presented for the return of a certified copy of the license.
  • Both parties must be present and must be prepared to present a valid government-issued photo I.D. to confirm age eligibility.
    • The minimum age at which persons may marry is 18, unless a minor has been emancipated by court order.
    • Upon application for a marriage license, an emancipated minor must provide a certified copy of the order of emancipation.
  • If either party is divorced, a certified copy of the final divorce decree must be provided. A copy is not required if finalized in Chesterfield.


The marriage license fee is $32.50


Payment types accepted