On November 2, 2020, jury trials will resume in Chesterfield Circuit Court.
Chesterfield Circuit Court has been approved to resume jury trials. See detailed information regarding the Chesterfield Circuit Court’s Jury Resumption Plan, as approved by the Supreme Court of Virginia.
Serving on a jury may be one of the most important and significant civic privileges that we have as a citizen of the United States. On behalf of the Chesterfield Circuit Court and the Clerk’s Office we thank you for your commitment and dedication to our American justice system.
Please review your summons and the below resources before calling Jury Services with questions.
- Serving jury duty in Virginia (PDF)
- Questions and Answers about Jury Duty
- Jury Service Orientation video
- Jury Information Line: 804-409-8605
- Email Jury Services with questions regarding your jury service
- Read your summons carefully for important instructions regarding your jury service.
- Immediately confirm receipt of your summons on the Juror eResponse website by completing the summons questionnaire. You will need your assigned Candidate/Juror ID listed on your summons.
- After 5 p.m. the business day before the Report Date listed on your summons check your reporting status. Call the Juror Information Line at 804-409-8605 and follow the message prompt to check your reporting status. You may also check your status on the Juror eResponse website. On the Juror eReponse website:
- Chesterfield Circuit Court, 9500 Courthouse Road, 2nd Floor, Jury Assembly Room. Directions
- Please read the Court Safety & Security page for a list of prohibited items in the courthouse and what to expect upon arrival.
Please review your questionnaire and the below resources before calling Jury Services with questions.
- Questions and Answers about the Juror Qualification Process
- Email Jury Services if you have questions regarding your Juror Questionnaire
Juror Qualification Overview
The process includes
- mailing annually approximately 30,000 juror questionnaires in August each year to randomly selected Chesterfield County residents
- reviewing responses by Jury Commissioners appointed by the Chief Judge and the processing of the Commissioners’ decisions
- creating a list of citizens qualified to serve jury duty the following year
- the questionnaire is used to determine who is qualified to serve as a juror. It is not a summons for jury duty
- Completed Questionnaires must be returned (either by mail or online) within 10 days of receipt to avoid further action by the Court
Complete Questionnaire Online - preferred
WARNING: Be Aware of Jury Scams
If you were summoned for jury service and failed to appear, you may be contacted by the court. If this happens, a judge may summon you to appear before the court for an explanation as to why you missed jury service.
However, police and court officials will never ask for payment, a credit card, money card or social security number for failure to appear for jury duty over the phone or by email.
Report suspicious activity immediately to local law enforcement - Chesterfield County Police Investigations Unit: 804-748-1268