Shared Jurisdiction with General District Court
Civil cases where monetary claims range from $4,501 to $50,000
Exclusive Jurisdiction of Circuit Court
- Monetary disputes involving more than $50,000
- Civil/equity cases, such as
- appointments of Guardian/Conservator
- name changes
- property disputes
- estate and Will disputes
When filing a civil case in the Circuit Court, the filing party is responsible for ensuring that all pleadings are prepared in accordance with the Code of Virginia and Rules of the Virginia Supreme Court.
For the most current Civil filing fees, please access the Civil Filing Fee Calculation tool.
After reviewing the Civil Fee Schedule please feel free to contact the Civil Division should you have questions.
Unlike the two District Courts, the Circuit Court does not typically provide "forms" for use by litigants in filing civil suits. Hence, it is strongly recommended that the services of an attorney be employed when filing a civil action at the Circuit Court level.
- Civil action forms - Available through the Supreme Court of Virginia.
- Civil Case Cover Sheet (PDF) - Required to be included with all new civil case filings.
NOTE: Clerk's Office personnel are strictly prohibited from providing legal advice