General District Court
Notice Regarding Face Coverings, Remote Hearings and COVID-19 Screenings
Unless fully vaccinated pursuant to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines, all persons aged five (5) and older should wear a face covering that covers the nose and mouth when entering the Chesterfield Courthouses. It is expected that visitors will supply their own face covering.
Please note: A presiding judge may require all persons to wear a face covering inside the courtroom in which that judge presides.
The Sheriff’s Office will initiate health/temperature screening of visitors at the main entrances of both courthouses as a condition of entry. Social distancing remains in effect.
If anyone is turned away due to screening results who is also a participant in a hearing, the Sheriff’s Office will immediately advise the presiding judge. Such persons may still participate in a scheduled hearing by telephone from outside the courthouse at the discretion of the presiding judge.
Courts’ Response to COVID-19
Current Information Regarding Court Operations and Public Services
- Updated J&DR Public Notice (PDF), published Tuesday, May 18, 2021.
- Updated Circuit Court Clerk’s Public Notice (PDF), published Tuesday, April 13, 2021.
- General District Court Order (PDF), entered Wednesday, June 3, 2020.
- Motion for Remote Hearing (PDF), published Thursday, April 16, 2020. (Form for use in Chesterfield Circuit Court, General District Court, and Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court.)
Audio-Visual Upgrades in Chesterfield Courts
With the assistance of many departments and agencies, Chesterfield Courts are making progress on a project to upgrade audio-visual technology in all 17 courtrooms.
About General District Court
The General District Court presides over:
- Civil cases
- involving amounts up to $25,000
- recovery of personal property
- Small claims
- Up to $5,000
- personal property valued up to $5,000
- Criminal Cases
- Felony preliminary hearings
- Misdemeanor trials
- Traffic Court
Cases for all three divisions can be accessed by docket number or name on the Virginia Judicial System Website.
Access Cases Online
- Log into the Virginia Judicial System website.
- Select General District Court under Case Status and Information.
- Select “Chesterfield GDC”
- Access by Name, Case Number, or Date
This website contains general information and is not intended as legal advice. Federal, state and local laws and/or rules, regulations and policies of the Supreme Court of Virginia and/or the Chesterfield General District Courts take precedence in the event this website's information is, in any way, inconsistent. Information will be updated as soon as possible after changes in laws, rules, regulations and policies.