General District Court
All persons aged ten (10) and older must wear a face covering that covers the nose and mouth when entering the Chesterfield Courthouses. It is expected that visitors will supply their own face covering; however, the Courts will provide disposable masks for those visitors who do not have their own. Individuals without a face mask will not be permitted to enter the courthouse except for those who cannot safely wear a face mask because of a health-related condition.
The Court can conduct remote hearings as appropriate. Please see the information published below with dates for April 15-16, 2020, as well as Remote Appearances for complete information.
Beginning Wednesday, April 8, 2020, the Sheriff’s Office will initiate temperature screening of visitors at the main entrances of both courthouses as a condition of entry.
Screeners will be masked and gloved. If anyone is turned away for having a temperature at or above 100 degrees WHO IS ALSO A PARTICIPANT IN A HEARING, the Sheriff’s Office will immediately advise the presiding judge. Such persons MAY still participate in a scheduled hearing by telephone from outside the courthouse AT THE DISCRETION OF THE PRESIDING JUDGE.
Current Information Regarding Court Operations & Public Services
- Updated Circuit Court Clerk’s Public Notice, published Friday, June 5, 2020
- Updated J&DR Public Notice, published Wednesday, June 24, 2020
- General District Court Order, entered Wednesday, June 3, 2020
- Motion for Remote Hearing (PDF Form), published Thursday, April 16, 2020. (Form for use in Chesterfield Circuit Court, General District Court, and Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court)
With the assistance of many departments and agencies, Chesterfield Courts are making progress on a project to upgrade audio-visual technology in all 17 courtrooms.
About General District Court
The General District Court presides over:
- Civil cases
- involving amounts up to $25,000
- recovery of personal property
- Small claims
- Up to $5,000
- personal property valued up to $5,000
- Criminal Cases
- Felony preliminary hearings
- Misdemeanor trials
- Traffic Court
Cases for all three divisions can be accessed by docket number or name on the Virginia Judicial System Website.
Access Cases Online
- Log into the Virginia Judicial System website.
- Select General District Court under Case Status and Information.
- Select “Chesterfield GDC”
- Access by Name, Case Number, or Date
This website contains general information and is not intended as legal advice. Federal, state and local laws and/or rules, regulations and policies of the Supreme Court of Virginia and/or the Chesterfield General District Courts take precedence in the event this website's information is, in any way, inconsistent. Information will be updated as soon as possible after changes in laws, rules, regulations and policies.