Upcoming Parks and Recreation Special Events
The Chesterfield County Parks and Recreation Department hosts a variety of special events each year. For information on upcoming events, dates and times, please view our upcoming programs and events calendar.
Planning a Special Event
Whether you are planning a cross country race, a car show or other special event on county property, you will need to complete and submit a special event permit application (PDF). All special events held on parks and recreation property, school property and select county property require a special event permit application to be completed and submitted to Parks and Recreation.
Events are subject to approval from various county departments, depending on the nature of your event. Insurance coverage is required. Consult the special event information (PDF) before planning your event.
Special Events Process
No permits will be issued if these steps are not followed.
- Secure the facility. You must check availability and schedule the park facility before proceeding. Contact the Parks and Recreation Department to determine if date of event is available and the event is appropriate for Parks and Recreation facilities. Events held on school property may be passed along to the School Facility Scheduler for approval.
- Complete the Special Event Permit Application (PDF) in detail and submit at minimum of 30 days in advance of the event. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- Applications will be routed to various county departments to screen for compliance with county ordinances and policies:
- Building Inspection
- Commissioner of the Revenue
- Fire and EMS
- Risk Management
- Virginia Department of Transportation
- And others as deemed necessary
- Event organizers are responsible for obtaining any additional permits or documentation from the other departments.
- The county requires a Certificate of Insurance (PDF) naming Chesterfield County and the Department of Parks and Recreation as additional insured and Certificate Holder with at least $1 million in liability coverage from the special event applicant/organization/sponsor, all vendors, and most equipment to include stages, bounce houses, tents and more. View certificate of insurance requirements (PDF).
- Email completed applications to Ronnie Hobson or Scott Tingen.
- Once in compliance with the requirements of the various departments, your application will be approved.