- County Administration
Message from the County Administrator
Dear Friends and Visitors,
Welcome to Chesterfield County, a first choice community for residents, businesses and visitors. Providing you with the best possible quality of life is our main mission as a local government.
If you operate, or are contemplating operating, a business in the county, you’ll find that we are business friendly, from fast tracking site development for new business to supporting existing businesses of all sizes. We also have an extremely low machinery and tools tax rate.
And, if you are visiting us, you’ll find that Chesterfield County is a historic treasure. Early English settlers established the 1611 Citie of Henricus here along the James River just four years after founding Jamestown, making Henricus the second-oldest English-speaking settlement in the New World.
For residents, businesses and visitors alike, what makes us such a special place is our people, both in our communities and in our local government, and the way in which everyone works together. It's that teamwork that makes us what we are, and that will carry us into the future as we mold the Chesterfield County of tomorrow.
Dr. Joseph P. Casey
Priorities and Accomplishments
Interested to know more about what the county is planning for the future? The current FY23 Priorities provide strategic direction set by the county administrator as to what's expected to be in progress or completed over the next year. Additionally, prior year accomplishments are published for review.
- FY18 Accomplishments and FY19 Priorities (PDF)
- FY19 Accomplishments and FY20 Priorities (PDF)
- FY20 Accomplishments (PDF) and FY21 Priorities (PDF)
- FY21 Accomplishments (PDF) and FY22 Priorities (PDF)
- FY22 Accomplishments and FY23 Priorities (PDF)
The county administrator leads the operations of the county government to meet the needs of the citizens of Chesterfield County, advises members of the Board of Supervisors by recommending policies, setting priorities for consideration by the Board of the Supervisors concerning the provision of programs and services that provide the highest quality of life to county citizens and ensures compliance with federal, state and local laws and ordinances as well as maintains open communication with various sectors of the community such as the legislative delegation, business community, area governments and county residents.
Our Mission and Vision
- To provide a first choice community through excellence in public service.
- To be an extraordinary and innovative community in which to live, learn, work and play. View the 2021 Citizen Satisfaction Survey (PDF).
Chesterfield County's Guiding Principles
- Demonstrating excellence in public service with a commitment to fiscal stewardship and efficient use of resources.
- Partnering with the community to provide safe and secure surroundings through prevention, readiness and professional response.
- Fostering a vibrant economy that provides quality jobs, enhances economic opportunities and ensures business diversity.
- Promoting healthy, active lifestyles while fostering self-sufficiency and quality of life.
- Supporting a range of learning opportunities that sustains quality of life, employment and well-being.
- Enriching quality of life, enhancing community attractiveness and preserving natural resources.