Suicide Awareness Campaign
The Chesterfield Suicide Awareness and Prevention Coalition brings together organizations in Central Virginia who are working to educate residents about mental illness, risk factors for suicide and support resources within our community.
By educating people of all ages, we are widening the safety net in our community so we can
- recognize the warning signs of suicide
- take the appropriate steps to help the person in crisis
- identify the appropriate help.
The coalition has created a resource booklet for those who want to learn more about ways to prevent suicide and warning signs.
The booklet can be obtained by
- attending coalition presentations and events
- calling 804-378-0035
- emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
“Raise Your Voice about Suicide Prevention,” was produced by the coalition to teach residents how to recognize the warning signs of suicide and the steps to take to help the person in crisis.
The program is provided free to religious, civic and other groups in Chesterfield County. To schedule a presentation for your organization, call Jill Weiseman at 804-378-0035.
Support Groups for Survivors
- National Alliance on Mental Illness of Central Virginia Survivors of Suicide Loss Support Group
- Morrissett Community Care Survivor of Suicide Loss Support Group
- Full Circle Suicide Loss Group
- AFSP Survivors of Suicide Loss Support Group
If you or someone you know is experiencing a mental health emergency contact Chesterfield Crisis Intervention at 804-748-6356.
Lock and Talk
Lock and Talk is part of a comprehensive approach to suicide prevention in Chesterfield County being implemented by the Chesterfield Suicide Awareness and Prevention Coalition in partnership with Chesterfield County Mental Health Support Services.
It is intended to
-prevent suicides by restricting access to firearms, medications, and other potentially dangerous items during a mental health crisis.
-educate the community about how to recognize and respond to warning signs of suicide.