Hover here for Site Tools
FAQ - I want to keep an exotic animal. What are the rules?
FacebookTwitterYouTubeMedia CenterRSS
Contact Us

Kirk Turner

Email Address

Phone Numbers
Office (804) 748-1050
Fax (804) 717-6295

8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. EST

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 40
Chesterfield, VA 23832-0040

Street Address
9800 Government Center Parkway, 2nd Floor
Chesterfield, VA 23832 Map this 

Community Development Building location map in PDF format 


Frequently Asked Questions

Subject: I want to keep an “exotic” animal. What are the rules?

Question: What are the rules for keeping an “exotic” animal? 

Answer: Approval of a conditional use permit would be required in agricultural or residential districts to keep animals that have the same general character as farm animals or small domesticated livestock, but do not meet the Zoning Ordinance definition of “stock farm” or “residential stock farm.” Keeping of other animals that do not fit the above categories requires approval of a conditional use planned development for a use exception.

Go Back
Related Content

03-27-06 Child Bitten Multiple Times

04-04-14 Chesterfield County Animal Control Launches ‘Free Ride Home’ Program For Lost Pets

05-14-09 Cats, Dogs Rescued from Chesterfield County Home

About Revitalization Office

Animal Bites

Animal Services - My Pet is Lost