The Purchasing Department is a service organization that has the responsibility of centralized procurement of commodities, services, construction and professional services for Chesterfield County and Chesterfield County Public Schools. The procurement of food for Chesterfield County Schools is administered by the School Board's Food and Nutrition Services Department. Purchasing serves over 50 county departments, 65 schools and all divisions of School Board Administration with approximately 308 locations where goods and services are received.
Our goal is to make the purchasing process as competitive and objective as possible, while striving to promote high standards for all business relationships. Our objectives are to obtain, on a timely basis, quality products and services as economically as possible as well as satisfying the specific needs of our various operating departments. Also, we endeavor to assure that the taxpayers receive the maximum value for each dollar expended. We expect that all terms and conditions agreed upon will be strictly adhered to by all parties.
It is the Purchasing Department’s policy to operate in accordance with all federal, state and county regulations and laws pertaining to public procurement. The county strives to stimulate competitive bidding (or competitive negotiation, as applicable) and to provide all interested vendors/firms with an opportunity to offer their products and/or services to Chesterfield County.
Our Vision & Mission
To be recognized by our customers and professional peers as an innovative provider of excellence in customer service and as a leader in the purchasing profession.
To support our customers in performing their mission by providing quality purchasing services.
We are dedicated and committed to:
- Providing quality and competitively priced goods and services in a legal, ethical and effective manner.
- Remaining on the forefront of public procurement laws, mandates and economic trends through professional development, certification and education.
- Providing a totally open and honest environment where integrity is the hallmark of our department.
- Continually striving to be innovators of the public procurement process through improvements in operational processes.
- Promoting a fair and equitable environment for participation in the public procurement process of all potential businesses and firms to include Minority Business Enterprises, Woman-Owned Businesses and Chesterfield Businesses.
- Educating our customers about the public procurement process.
- Fostering a spirit of teamwork and cooperation among all of our internal and external customers.
- Providing an environment where decisions are made in an open forum.
- Practicing the philosophy of Total Quality Improvement.
Chesterfield County personnel subscribe to and support a high level of ethical and moral conduct. County policy prohibits the acceptance of gifts or gratuities of any kind.
Chesterfield County Purchasing Department maintains memberships in the National Institute of Governmental Purchasing, the Virginia Association of Governmental Purchasing and the Capital Area Purchasing Association.
Total Quality Improvement Initiative
Chesterfield County, through its Total Quality Improvement initiative, is a recognized leader in providing quality products and services at the most effective cost possible. Therefore, the county fully expects and requires the highest quality standards of professional workmanship, products and services from all contractors, agents, staff, representatives and subcontractors of the contractor. In the spirit of the county's TQI initiative, the contractor shall be expected to become a member of the team and perform or provide all work, services and products with a target of zero defects - zero rework.