Hover here for Site Tools
FacebookTwitterYouTubeMedia CenterRSS
Contact Us

Chief of Police
Jeffrey S. Katz

Phone Numbers
804-748-6265 Fax

Emergencies dial 911  

Mailing Address
Chesterfield County Police Department
P.O. Box 148
Chesterfield, VA 23832

Street Address
10001 Iron Bridge Road
Chesterfield, VA 23832
Map this 



Police Department
Frequently Asked Questions for Police Department

How do I file a police report? 

For emergencies, call 911.

  • For non-emergencies, call 748-1251.
  • You may also visit police headquarters on Iron Bridge Road or one of our district stations when a service desk officer is on duty.
    • A service desk officer is on duty at police headquarters 24 hours a day, seven days a week; service desk officers are on duty at the district stations from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., seven days a week.
  • If you wish to make a report over the phone, call 748-1269. We also accept some police reports online.

How do I make a speeding/traffic safety complaint? 

To make a speeding or traffic safety complaint, call the Chesterfield County Police Department's Traffic Hotline at 804-318-8084 or via email.

Will the police department check on my home while I’m away? 

Yes. To request a check of your residence while you are away, call 748-1269 or 748-1258.

How do I get a background check? 

You may request a check of your Chesterfield County criminal history record by appearing in person at Records Customer Service during regular business hours.

  • You must be 18 years of age or older and have a valid photo ID.
  •  If you are under 18 years of age, you should contact the Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court Service Section at 804-748-1379.
  • If a state record check is needed, contact Virginia State Police at 804-674-2000.

For more information, including fees, visit our Police Records page.

I need to get fingerprinted. What do I do? 

The police department's Records Section will provide limited fingerprinting services under certain circumstances. The Records Unit is normally open for fingerprinting from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. If you need to be fingerprinted, please arrive by 3:45 p.m. You must have two valid forms of identification, and at least one of the two must include a photo. For more information, visit our Police Records page.

What other records can I obtain from police? 

Visit our Police Records page for more information about available records and fees.

How do I hire an off-duty officer? 

The Chesterfield County Police Department offers a variety of options for businesses and organizations seeking to hire off-duty officers for one-time events or continuous assignments. For more information, visit our Hire an Off-Duty Officer page or contact our off-duty employment coordinator or at 804-717-6162.

Do you have a ride-along program? 

Yes, the police department offers a ride-along program for county residents. Residents who would like to participate in a ride along must be 18 years of age, submit a written application and agree to submit to a criminal history check. Applications are available at headquarters and every district station. For more information, contact our off-duty employment coordinator or at 804-717-6162.

Do you have a Neighborhood Watch program? 

Yes, the police department's Neighborhood Watch program was established in 1976. For more information on our Neighborhood Watch program, visit our Neighborhood Watch page.

How do I get a job with the department? 

The Chesterfield County Police Department offers a variety of career opportunities, both sworn and civilian. To view job listings or learn how to apply, visit Chesterfield County’s employment opportunities listing. For more information on careers with the police department, visit Police Hiring.

How do I obtain a criminal warrant for someone? 

You must appear in person before a Magistrate. The Magistrate's Office adjoins the Chesterfield County Jail, which is located at 6900 Mimms Drive, Chesterfield.

I believe I might be a victim of domestic violence. What do I do? 

If you are in danger or need immediate assistance, call 911. For non-emergencies, contact police at 748-1251. You can also call the Virginia Family Violence and Sexual Assault 24-hour Hotline at 1-800-838-8238. Visit the Domestic and Sexual Violence Resource Center website or contact the police department’s domestic violence coordinator, Tana Mooney or at 804-318-8110 for more information.

I think I’m a victim of an internet fraud or fraud by telephone. What do I do 

If you have given money or prepaid cards to anyone who contacted you over the internet or by phone and you think it is a scam, report it to our police department at 804-748-1269. If you have been contacted by someone over the internet and you did not give them money, but you would still like to report it, you can file a report at FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3). If you were contacted by phone but did not send any money, you can report that at Federal Trade Commission

How do I get or renew a concealed handgun permit? 

The Chesterfield County Circuit Court Clerk's Office handles applications for concealed handgun permits. For more information, visit the Chesterfield County Circuit Court Clerk's website.

How do I invite a representative of the police department to attend or speak at our community meeting? 

Members of the police department are available to speak to community groups on a variety of topics. To invite a representative of the police department to attend or speak at your meeting, contact the Community Services Division at 318-8699 at least 30 days before your event.