Police - Qualifications and Benefits
Application Window for Police Officer
Apply online March 7, 2015, through June 9, 2015, for our January 2016 police academy.
Position: Police Officer
Minimum Basic Qualifications:
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Must have a high school diploma or a General Education Diploma (GED).
- Be 21 years of age prior to completion of our training academy.
- Pass a written and physical agility test.
- Possess or be eligible for a Virginia driver's license.
- Binocular vision of 20/25 corrected.
- Weight in proportion to height.
- No convictions of felonies and/or serious and habitual misdemeanors.
- No conviction of, or guilty or no contest plea to: any misdemeanor involving moral turpitude, including petit larceny; any misdemeanor sex offense; or any domestic assault.
- Pass an extensive background investigation including a polygraph, psychological, medical and drug screening.
Compliance with the department's Police - Tattoo/Body Art Policy
Applicants will be eliminated for significant omissions or falsifications on any documents prepared in conjunction with the application process.
Although individuals with minimum qualifications may apply, only those with the most suitable job related experience, education and qualifications will be selected. If you have any questions regarding our police officer applicant process, please do not hesitate to call the Police Personnel Unit at (804) 748-1547.
- Participation in the Position Readiness Education Program
- Take Home Vehicle (upon successful completion of basic academy)
- Workers' Compensation Insurance
- Deferred Compensation Plans
- Employees' Federal Credit Union
- Performance Development Program
- Career Development Program
- Tuition Assistance Reimbursement
- Permanent shift assignments
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Uniform and equipment furnished
- 33 days Paid Time Off (PTO)
- 12 holidays
- Medical and dental coverage
- Short-term disability program (provides 60% of your income after elimination period)
- Long-term disability program
- Long-term care insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- 529 College Savings Plan
- 15 days military leave per year for the purpose of attending annual reserve military training
- Regular (semi-annual) in-service and training at the Chesterfield County Public Safety Training Center
- Full retirement benefits through the Virginia Retirement System. Health and dental care available to retirees at the county group rate at 55 or older, with 15 years of full-time service.
- Law Enforcement Officers Supplement income through Virginia State Retirement Services with 20 years VRS service
- Free life insurance coverage to twice your salary. Employee has the option to purchase additional coverage
- Free accidental death and dismemberment policy that covers four times the employee's salary