Police - Qualifications and Benefits
Corporal Juana Butler, 804-796-7169 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Window for Police Officer
- Applications for the January 2015 Basic Academy will be accepted from March 3 - May 22, 2014
Position: Police Officer
Minimum Basic Qualifications:
- Be a U.S.citizen.
- Must have a high school diploma or a General Education Diploma(GED).
- Be 21 years of age prior to completion of our training academy, have 60 college credit hours or two years law enforcement experience or two years continuous active duty military experience or at least 3 years employment or equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Pass a written and physical agility test.
- Possess or be eligible for a Virginia driver's license with no more than six demerit points in the past twelve months, or a DUI conviction in the past four years.
- Binocular vision of 20/25 corrected.
- Uncorrected binocular vision no worse than 20/100.
- Weight in proportion to height.
- No convictions of felonies and/or serious and habitual misdemeanors.
- No conviction of, or guilty or no contest plea to: any misdemeanor involving moral turpitude, including petit larceny; any misdemeanor sex offense; or any domestic assault.
- No prolonged/recent use of marijuana.
- Pass an extensive background investigation including a polygraph, psychological, medical and drug screening.
- Ability to speak clearly, hear, analyze and react quickly to high stress situations.
- Ability to maintain security, custody and control of combative prisoners.
- Compliance with the department's Police - Tattoo/Body Art Policy
Applicants will be eliminated for significant omissions or falsifications on any documents prepared in conjunction with the application process.
Although individuals with minimum qualifications may apply, only those with the most suitable job related experience, education and qualifications will be selected. If you have any questions regarding our police officer applicant process, please do not hesitate to call Police Human Resources at (804) 748-1547.
- Participation in Take Home Vehicle Program upon successful completion of basic academy training
- Workers' Compensation Insurance
- Deferred Compensation Plans
- Employees' Federal Credit Union
- Performance Development Program
- Career Development Program
- Tuition Assistance Reimbursement
- Permanent shift assignments
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Uniform and equipment furnished
- 33 days Paid Time Off (PTO)
- 12 holidays
- Medical and dental coverage
- Short-term disability program (provides 60% of your income after elimination period)
- Long-term disability program
- Long-term care insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- 529 College Savings Plan
- 15 days military leave per year for the purpose of attending annual reserve military training
- Regular (semi-annual) in-service and training at the Chesterfield County Public Safety Training Center
- Full retirement benefits through the Virginia Retirement System. Health and dental care available to retirees at the county group rate at 55 or older, with 15 years of full-time service.
- Law Enforcement Officers Supplement income through Virginia State Retirement Services with 20 years VRS service
- Free life insurance coverage to twice your salary. Employee has the option to purchase additional coverage
- Free accidental death and dismemberment policy that covers four times the employee's salary