Circuit Court Clerk - Obtaining a Copy of a Marriage License
Payment types accepted
For copies of marriage licenses issued between July 1, 1997 and June 30, 2001:
- To obtain a copy, the bride or groom must visit the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office in person with a government-issued identification card (e.g., driver’s license).
- Certified copies are $2.50 each and are available in the Clerk's Office during regular public service hours. In the event the bride or groom is unable to visit the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office, copies may be obtained through the Virginia Department of Health’s Division of Vital Records and Health Statistics.
For copies of marriage licenses issued prior to July 1, 1997 or after June 30, 2001:
- Marriage licenses issued during these timeframes are public records.
- Certified copies are $2.50 each and are available in the Clerk's Office during regular public service hours or via written request.
- Written requests for certified copies should include the following: full names of both parties (including maiden name as applicable), date of marriage, a self-addressed stamped envelope, and a check or money order made payable to the Chesterfield Circuit Court Clerk.