Hover here for Site Tools
Fire Damage Repair
FacebookTwitterYouTubeMedia CenterRSS
Contact Us

Building Inspection Director
Richard C. Witt

(804) 748-1057
(804) 751-4713 Fax

Get complete contact info 

Email us with questions about
Permits and Fees 

Residential code requirements 

Commercial code requirements 

Residential inspection requirements 

Commercial inspection requirements 

Office - M-F, 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Inspectors M-F, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Mailing Address
Chesterfield County Department of Building Inspection
P.O. Box 40
Chesterfield, VA 23832-0040

Street Address
9800 Government Center Parkway
Chesterfield, VA 23832
Map this 

Construction Project Types
Fire Damage Repair

Permits required:  

  1. Building permit
  2. Auxiliary permits: One or more of the permit types listed below depending on the scope of work being performed:
    • Electrical permit
    • Plumbing permit
    • Gas permit
    • Mechanical permit

Application Submittal Requirements: 

  1. One (1) copy of Client Registration Form – if the permit is being applied for by a contractor who has never performed work in Chesterfield County before
  2. One (1) copy of the Residential Building Permit Application.
  3. Two (2) copies of the construction plans – One set will be returned to the applicant with the issued permit. (For more detail on exactly what the construction plans require, see Construction Plan Requirements.)
  4. One (1) copy of the Residential Plans Review Delivery form – Indicates whether you would like the permit and forms mailed to you or held for three days at the Building Inspection office for you to pick up
  5. Payment of permit and other related fees – Residential Fee Schedule. Cash, checks, MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express cards are accepted. 

Construction Plan Requirements: Minimum of two copies 

  1. An overview floor plan with the room use clearly labeled and a brief description of the repairs to be made
  2. If sections of the structure must be rebuilt, then framing plans will be required, see Additions.
  3. If the whole structure has to be rebuilt down to the foundation, then a sealed letter from an Engineer verifying that the existing foundation is still structurally adequate will be required.
  4. If the whole structure has to be rebuilt, requirements will be same as those for New House, except if foundation is acceptable per #3 above.

Return to Obtaining a Permit/Design Criteria – Residential