Commissioner of the Revenue - Memo for New Business License Applicants
Download a printable version of this document
To: Applicant for Chesterfield County Business License
From: Business License Section
To apply for your license please perform these steps in the order in which they are presented.
NOTE: LICENSES MUST BE OBTAINED PRIOR TO BEGINNING BUSINESS. A LATE PAYMENT PENALTY OF UP TO 10% (SUBJECT TO A MINIMUM PENALTY) AND INTEREST WILL BE IMPOSED IF THE LICENSE IS NOT OBTAINED WITHIN ONE MONTH OF THE START OF BUSINESS.
- Complete the APPLICATION FOR CHESTERFIELD COUNTY BUSINESS LICENSE.
- Complete the BUSINESS LICENSE CLASSIFICATION QUESTIONNAIRE. §6-9 of the Chesterfield County Code requires that every person applying for a business license shall ensure that the location for the business be properly zoned for its intended use by such business. Call or visit the Planning Department (ph. 748-1050) to find out if your business location is properly zoned for your business activities, especially if you intend to conduct your business from your home. Planning Department hours are M – F, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm.
- Visit the Office of the Clerk of the Circuit Court in the Chesterfield County Courts Building (ph. 748-1241) in person only if you will be operating a business under an assumed or fictitious trade name. Trade names that include the sole proprietor’s last name do not need to be recorded. Trade names using only an individual’s initials or any other fictitious names which differ from the actual sole proprietor, partnership, LLC, or corporate name must be recorded with the Clerk’s Office, and §59.1-74 of the Code of Virginia requires that proof of recordation must be submitted to the Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue before a business license may be issued. A fee of $10.00 must accompany the form at the time of recordation. Office hours are M – F, 9:00 am – 4:00 pm.
- CONTRACTORS ONLY: Register with the State Board for Contractors, located at 9960 Mayland Drive, Richmond (ph. 804-367-8511, www.state.va.us/dpor), only if you:
Return the following documents to the Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue in the enclosed envelope (office hours are M – F, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm):
- Accept individual contracts of $1,000 or more; or
- Have total gross receipts in excess of $150,000 during a 12-month period
§6-25(b) of the Chesterfield County Code requires that contractors in either of these categories must enter their State Board for Contractors registration number on the appropriate line on the business license application before a license may be issued. All contractors must also complete a Contractor’s Certification of Insuring Liability for Workers’ Compensation in Virginia form. §58.1-3714B(1) of the Code of Virginia prohibits a county from issuing or reissuing a business license to a contractor who has not obtained or is not maintaining workers’ compensation coverage for his employees if such coverage is required. Questions regarding workers’ compensation coverage requirements should be directed to the Workers’ Compensation Commission at 1000 DMV Drive, Richmond (ph. 367-2071).
- The Application for Chesterfield County Business License
- A check made payable to the Treasurer, Chesterfield County, for the amount of the license tax or fee
- The Business License Classification Questionnaire
- If applicable, a copy of your receipt from the Clerk of the Circuit Court evidencing the registration of your trade name
- For contractors, the completed Contractor’s Certification of Insuring Liability for Workers’ Compensation in Virginia form
If you have any questions, please contact this office at 748-1281 and ask for the Business License Section.