Circuit Court Clerk - Obtaining a Concealed Handgun Permit
View an important notice to persons convicted of misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence
- Applications are available in the Clerk's Office from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Applications may be filed in the Clerk's Office between these hours as well.
- Applications are also available through the State Police at the following web site: www.vsp.state.va.us
- Persons wishing to obtain a concealed handgun permit are required to apply in the City or County of their residence (i.e., only Chesterfield residents may apply through the Chesterfield Circuit Court).
- Applicants who appear in person to have their signature acknowledged must present a driver’s license or comparable government-issued photo I.D.
- Applicants should provide a self-addressed, stamped envelope for use in forwarding the permit, if granted.
- First-time applicants are required to provide proof of competency with a handgun. Individuals who hold a permit from another state and who wish to obtain a permit from this Court must provide proof of competency with a handgun as well.
- The processing fee is $50. Payment may be made by cash, check or money order (payable to the Chesterfield Circuit Court Clerk). Debit and credit cards are not accepted for the payment of such fees.
- Notarized applications may be submitted by mail to: Chesterfield Circuit Court, P.O. Box 125, Chesterfield, VA 23832.
- Processing of these applications can take up to 45 days. The Police Department performs background checks and then forwards this information to the Circuit Court Judge who enters an order either granting or denying the permit.
- The Clerk’s Office will mail the permit (or notice of denial) to the applicant in the self-addressed, stamped envelope previously provided by the applicant. Please allow 45 days from the time the completed application is filed with the Clerk’s Office.
- For questions relating to the enforcement of the law governing concealed handgun permits, please contact the Chesterfield Police Department at 804-748-1269.
- For questions relating to the application, renewal or replacement process, please contact the Circuit Court Clerk's Office at 804-748-1241.