Hover here for Site Tools
Resolving Child Care Provider Problems
FacebookTwitterYouTubeMedia CenterRSS
Contact Us

Director of Social Services
Kiva Rogers

Email Us 

Phone Numbers
Switchboard - (804) 748-1100
Fax -(804) 748-1824

8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Monday - Friday

Street Address
Department of Social Services
9501 Lucy Corr Circle
Chesterfield, VA 23832Map this 

Social Services
Resolving Child Care Provider Problems
All is not well in your child's daycare program. When you recognize problems, it is critical that they be addressed immediately.

Take Action 

  • Set an appointment to talk to the director or head provider, if the problems relate to the
    • operation of the center or home
    • fees
    • policies
    • procedures
  • Schedule an appointment with the teacher and address the problem in a meeting, NOT as you are picking up or dropping off your child, if the problem is with the
    • teacher/provider
    • classroom
    • instruction
    • conflict between your child and another child
  • Ask for an appointment with the director, and include the teacher if possible, if you talk with the teacher and do not feel it is resolved.
  • Contact your local licensing agency, if the children may be in danger because of
    • licensing violations such as too many children
    • safety or health violations that the program refuses to address
    • Richmond Area Licensing: 1-804--662-9743 or 1-800-543-7545 


S tate the problem WITHOUT placing blame: "I am concerned because________occurred" or "I see ______ and wondered if we could discuss it?" These are often good ways to begin.

O ffer and ask for ideas to solve the problem. Then, decide together what you and the provider will try.

L isten and stay calm.

V alue the provider.  Let them know you appreciate them and are willing to work with them to find a solution.

E valuate, after a few days or weeks, by talking with the provider, sharing your feelings and asking for theirs.

If you have any questions or need additional information, call the Chesterfield Social Services Department at (804) 748-1100.

Reprinted with permission from the National Network for Child Care-NNCC.  National Network for Child Care (1998) "When there are problems with your child's care." 

Related Content

01-02-14 Police Investigate Robbery

01-04-16 Man Charged in Officer-Involved Shooting

01-05-16 Police Seek Woman Who Cashed Stolen Lottery Tickets

01-08-14 Police Seek Construction Fraud Victims