Business Citation or Notice
If you received a business license notice or citation
- Most businesses operating in Chesterfield County are required to obtain a business license. Get additional information about the business license and license applications. (Please be sure to view the frequently asked questions at the bottom of the page)
- It appears that you are operating a business without a valid business license. This could be based on a number of factors: you were observed conducting business as describe by state and county code, you filed paperwork that is normally only required for persons conducting business, you were advertising or otherwise holding yourself out as being in business or a complaint received by the department.
- In accordance with section six of the code of Chesterfield County, operating a business without the proper license is considered a class 1 misdemeanor.
To comply with a business license notice or citation
If you are no longer in business
- Even if you are no longer operating, you may still be considered "in business" until you notify the Commissioner of the Revenue, in writing that you are "out of business."
- To provide us notification that you are out of business, please email us and provide the date the business ceased operation and the gross receipts for the business in it's last year of operation.