Hover here for Site Tools
Commissioner of the Revenue - Moved To or From Another State
FacebookTwitterYouTubeMedia CenterRSS
Contact Us

Commissioner of the Revenue
Jenefer Hughes

Phone Numbers
(804) 748-1281

Fax Numbers
(804) 768-8649 Administration, Individual Personal Property
(804) 796-3236 Business License, Business Tangible Personal Property, Income Tax, Tax Relief

Email Us 

Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Mailing address
Commissioner of the Revenue
P.O. Box 124
Chesterfield, VA 23832-0908

Street Address
Commissioner of the Revenue
9901 Lori Road
Building 38, Room 165
Chesterfield, VA 23832
Map this 

Vehicle Services
Commissioner of the Revenue - Moved To or From Another State

Moved To Another State

Step 1 Notify DMV providing them with the move date, and new address information.

Step 2 Register your vehicle in the state you moved to.

Step 3 – Provide the Chesterfield County Commissioner of the Revenue  with a copy of your new state vehicle registration. 

Note:  If the tax bill was paid for the year you moved the vehicle out of state, you may be entitled to a prorated refund.

Moved From Another State

Step 1 – Obtain your driver’s license; and title and register your vehicle with the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).  At that time, confirm your address AND garaged jurisdiction information is correct on the vehicle registration card DMV gives you.

Step 2 – Contact the Chesterfield County Commissioner of the Revenue to register your vehicle for personal property tax purposes.  Vehicles are required by law to be reported to the Commissioner of the Revenue within 30 days of moving into Chesterfield, or transfer of title.  In most cases, this is an automatic process between the DMV and the Commissioner; however, it is the taxpayer’s responsibility to ensure that their vehicle is registered with our office.

Note:  If you purchased a vehicle (car, truck, or motorcycle) before Jan 1st of the tax year you will receive a prorated bill within a month, or so, for the time period you owned the vehicle during that tax year.   For subsequent tax years you will receive a bill for the full tax year in April, due by June 5th of the corresponding tax year.  For additional billing information please contact the Treasurer’s Office.

Related Content

02-12-18 March 1 Deadline Approaching for Business License Renewal and Filing of Personal Property Taxes

11-17-17 Adams, Hughes Sworn In As Constitutional Officers

About Commissioner of the Revenue

About the Treasurer's Office