Hover here for Site Tools
Civil and Small Claims Court
General District Court
FacebookTwitterYouTubeMedia CenterRSS
Contact Us

Ms. Linda J. Moore

Phone Numbers
(804) 748-1231
(804) 748-1757 Fax

Internet/E-mail/Fax Filing
Filings are accepted via mail, courier or hand delivery.

NOTE: Filings will not be accepted via the Internet, e-mail or fax.

General District Court Clerk's Office Hours
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Monday through Friday, excluding State holidays.

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 144
Chesterfield, VA. 23832

Street Address
9500 Courthouse Road
Chesterfield, VA. 23832 

Driving Directions  


Parking is permitted in any area except those that are gated, marked "reserved," or designated for jurors. There is no fee for parking.


Ready Virginia
Chesterfield County Public Schools
General District Court
Civil and Small Claims Court

Civil Court

Types of Cases

 Civil Division handles cases involving

  • Monetary claims up to $25,000
  • Claims for recovery of personal property

Examples of civil cases are landlord and tenant disputes, contract disputes and personal injury claims.

If your civil suit is for $5,000 or less, you may be able to file your case under the Small Claims Court .

Small Claims Court

Small claims court has jurisdiction over

  • Civil cases seeking a money judgment of up to $5,000.00
  • Recovery of personal property valued at up to $5,000.00.


  • All parties shall represent themselves without attorneys.
  • A corporate or partnership plaintiff or defendant may be represented by an
    • owner
    • general partner
    • officer
    • employee

Filing Your Small Claims Case  

You will need to

  • come to the clerk's office between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
  • pay a fee to file your small claims case

Two types of warrants handled by small claims 

  1. Warrant in Debt is filed if you are seeking a money judgment, or
  2. Warrant in Detinue is filed if you are seeking to obtain possession of personal property wrongfully withheld by the defendant.

When filing your claim, you will need  

  • correct name and address of the person(s) or business you are suing.
  • for the Warrant in Debt you will need the
    • amount you are suing for
    • reason you are suing.
  • For the Warrant in Detinue you will need the
    • description of the property
    • value
    • reason for the claim.

NOTE: With regard to the correct name of a business or corporation, and the correct serving party, you can obtain assistance from such sources as the Better Business Bureau, county business license office and the State Corporation Commission.

When your paperwork is filed 

  • You will be given a court date (return date) to come to court.
  • You will need to be present in the courtroom assigned to you at the time of filing on the date and time assigned.
Related Content

Criminal Court

Traffic Court