Hover here for Site Tools
Frequently Asked Questions for Juvenile Criminal Issues
Juvenile Probation
FacebookTwitterYouTubeMedia CenterRSS
Contact Us

12th District
Court Service Unit
Chesterfield County/
City of Colonial Heights
Juvenile Probation

Jim Nankervis, Director 

Phone Numbers 

(804) 748-1372
(804) 748-7915 Fax

12th District Court Service Unit
Chesterfield County/
City of Colonial Heights
Juvenile Probation
7000 Lucy Corr Blvd 
Chesterfield, VA 23832Map this 


Ready Virginia
Chesterfield County Public Schools
Juvenile Probation
Frequently Asked Questions for Juvenile Criminal Issues

If your child is represented by an attorney, always contact that attorney to answer your questions and to provide legal guidance.

The answers below are not meant to provide legal advice or be a substitute for the counsel of legal representation.  

My child is not listening to me and I want my child to go in front of a judge, what do I do? 

A juvenile must first be alleged to have committed a crime and arrested. 

  • An intake officer must find probable cause that it is reasonable to believe the juvenile committed the alleged crime and decide if court is the best course of action.  
  • When a juvenile is referred to court, that juvenile has all the constitutional rights afforded adults.
  • In Virginia, the parents may be required to pay for the juvenile's attorney either by hiring one or requesting a court appointed attorney.
  • The parents/ guardians cannot refuse legal representation for their child. 
  • If a child requests an attorney, an attorney will be appointed.   

There is a child in my neighborhood who I know vandalized my property, what do I do?

Call the police. 

  • It is always better to have the professionals investigate alleged crimes.
  • The police know what to do and how to navigate the criminal justice process.  

I think this young person who is hanging out with my child is on probation, how can I find out? 

You cannot. The Code of Virginia does not allow for the dissemination of information regarding a juvenile's criminal record, court involvement or probation status except in certain specific situations.  

My child just needs a couple of days in the detention home to teach him or her a lesson, what do I do?

Juveniles can only be placed in detention for very specific reasons as stated in the Code of Virginia. 

Anyone, adult or child, who is at risk of being incarcerated, has certain rights and is allowed legal representation to ensure the initial and continued incarceration is legal and an appropriate result of criminal behavior.    

My child went to court and the judge said there was "evidence sufficient" to find my child guilty, what does that mean? 

  • If your child was represented in court by a lawyer, contact that lawyer to get answers to your questions. 
  • In general, "evidence sufficient" means there was not a finding of guilt made by the judge but there is enough evidence to find your child guilty.
    • This is often done in an effort to have your child demonstrate good behavior and earn a dismissal of the charge.  

How do I know my child is on probation? 

  • The judge will tell you and your child in court.  
    • Right after the hearing, you and your child would have signed temporary probation rules.
    • In a few days the assigned probation officer would have called you to set up an appointment to establish the permanent rules and the supervision plan.

NOTE: Not everyone who goes to court is on supervised probation.  

My child is on probation and did not come home at curfew, do I call the police?

  • No.  As long as your child is home, call the assigned probation officer and leave him or her a message.
    • The probation officer will call you back to learn the details of the violation.
    • If your child does not come home at all or his or her whereabouts are unknown, call the assigned probation officer and provide the details.  
Related Content

Frequently Asked Questions for Domestic Issues

Contact Information

About the Court Service Unit

About the Chesterfield Adolescent Reporting Program

About Juvenile Detention Home