There is a general district court in each city and county in Virginia. General district court judges are elected by the General Assembly for 6 year terms. Judges for Chesterfield County are:
- The Honorable Thomas Leroy Murphey~*
- The Honorable Philip V. Daffron~
- The Honorable Robert D. Laney~
- The Honorable Thomas L. Vaughn~
* Chief Judge
~ Presiding Judge
Filings will not be accepted via the Internet, e-mail or fax. Filings are accepted via mail, courier or hand delivery.
The General District Court renders an essential service to the public; therefore, it is rare that the Court closes due to inclement weather. In addition, state law provides that the General District Court Clerk's Office may be closed only upon order of the Court. Therefore, in the event of inclement weather, the Court, not county administration, determines whether the Court and the Clerk's Office will be closed. Accordingly, please note that media announcements regarding inclement weather closings/delayed openings for Chesterfield County government offices do not apply to the General District Court or its Clerk's Office. Inclement weather closings will be announced through various media outlets. To confirm the operating hours of the General District Court Clerk's Office in the event of inclement weather, please call (804) 748-1231.
The General District Court Clerk's Office is located at the Chesterfield County Courts Building at 9500 Courthouse Road, Chesterfield, Virginia 23832. The Courts Building is located at the intersection of Ironbridge Road (Rt. 10) and Courthouse Road. The Courthouse is a large brick building with white columns and a circular drive.
Parking is permitted in any area except those that are gated, marked "reserved," or designated for jurors. There is no fee for parking.
From Hampton Roads Area
1. Take 64 West to Richmond. Take 95 South, then follow directions below.
From Western Virginia
1. Take 64 East to Richmond. Take 95 South, then follow directions below.
From Northern Virginia
1. Take 95 South to Exit #62, Route 288 (approx. 8 miles past downtown Richmond).
2. Take Route 288 to Route 10 (Iron Bridge Rd.) East (Second Exit).
3. Once on Route 10 (Iron Bridge Rd.) East , immediately get in left lane.
4. Take left at first traffic light (at intersection of Route 10 and Courthouse Road).
5. Take first right into parking lot for Courts Building.
Plenty of free parking is available on both sides of the building.