Hover here for Site Tools
Juvenile Detention Home - Frequently Asked Questions
Juvenile Detention Home
Contact Us

Director of the Chesterfield Juvenile Detention Home
Marilyn G. Brown
(804) 768-7873

Assistant Director of Secure Detention
Willie A. May
(804) 706-2753

Email Address

Mailing Address
Chesterfield County Juvenile Detention Home
9600 Krause Road
Chesterfield, VA 23832Map this 

Phone Numbers
(804) 748-1460
(804) 768-7735 Fax


Ready Virginia
Chesterfield County Public Schools
Juvenile Detention Home
Juvenile Detention Home - Frequently Asked Questions

Release Procedures
Arrest and Court Procedures
Weekend Detention and Weekend Work Program
Mail, School and Religious Services
Parent Resources 

Release Procedures 

What time will my son or daughter return to detention from court?
We are unable to determine what time youths will return from court because they are transported as a group by the Chesterfield County Sherriff's Department. If your child is being released from court we recommend you call the Juvenile Detention Home at 804-748-1460 and leave a phone number where you can be contacted. Once your child returns from court and we have all necessary paperwork, we will call you.

How long will it take for my child to be released once the court orders a straight release?
Juveniles appearing in court on a given day are transported together by a sheriff's deputy both to and from court; therefore, you may not pick your child up immediately after your child's case is heard. Once all cases are heard, the juveniles will return to the Juvenile Detention Home. A child who was given straight release may then begin the release process once a parent or guardian arrives. Generally, it only takes 10-15 minutes from the time the parents arrive to complete the release process. It may take longer if there are more youths being released on that day.

In court, the judge stated that my child was eligible for "HIP".  What does that mean?
The Home Incarceration Program, HIP, is an alternative to secure detention and includes outreach and electronic monitoring. All juveniles referred by the court must be screened for eligibility by a Home Incarceration Officer. If your child is found to be eligible for HIP, the Home Incarceration Officer will meet with you and your child to discuss program requirements.

What is the release process for juveniles being released on outreach or electronic monitoring (those who must wear an ankle monitor)?
If the court has ordered the release of a juvenile on outreach or electronic monitoring, please call the Juvenile Detention Home at 804-748-1460 for an explanation of the process and procedures required for release. Whether or not the juvenile will be released on the same day will be determined by the terms and conditions of the release.

If my child was sentenced to a specific number of days in detention, when will they be released?
A youth who was sentenced by the court to a set number of days in detention may be released after that number of days at the time at which they were admitted to the Juvenile Detention Home upon their return from court.

For example, a juvenile, who was sentenced to three days in detention and returned to the Juvenile Detention Home from court on Monday at 5:15 p.m., could be released on Thursday at 5:15 p.m.

Arrest and Court Procedures 

As a parent or guardian, how can I find out if a juvenile has been detained?
During the intake process of a juvenile, a staff member will call to notify you of your child's placement in detention. We will address any questions you may have at that time and you will be given an opportunity to speak briefly with your child.

If my child has been just brought to the Juvenile Detention Home by the police, when will the detention hearing be held?
Usually, detention hearings are held at 2 p.m. on the next business day after a juvenile has been brought to the Juvenile Detention Home. Occasionally, they may be held at 11 a.m. Please call the Juvenile Detention Home at 804-748-1460 after 8:30 a.m. to find out what time the hearings are being held that day. The Code of Virginia specifies that a juvenile is entitled to a detention hearing within 72 hours of arrest.

Can I bond out my child?
Contact the Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court Clerk's Office, 8 a.m.-4 p.m., Monday-Friday, or call 804-748-1379. During non-court working hours, call the magistrate at 804-748-1410.

Where is the Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court located?
7000 Lucy Corr Boulevard
Chesterfield, VA 23832
The phone number is 804-748-1379


Where is the Juvenile Detention Home located?
9600 Krause Road
Chesterfield, VA 23832

Who is allowed to visit and when?
Only parents and legal guardians may visit residents on Wednesdays 6:30-7:30 p.m. and Sundays, 3:30-4:30 p.m.

Please bring a photo I.D. and be advised of the following:

Personal-property items (purses, pouches, etc.) are not allowed in the facility and should be left in the car during visitation. All visitors are subject to electronic search upon entry.

Please refrain from wearing shorts, hats, tank tops and T-shirts with derogatory logos or advertisements.

Contraband items, including tobacco products, alcohol, weapons, lighters, and food are not permitted in the facility.

Smoking, eating, and drinking are not allowed during visitation. You may not pass anything directly to the residents.

What can I bring my child while he or she is detained?
If your child takes prescribed medications, they may be brought to the main entrance of the detention home and dropped off in the vestibule to the staff member. Residents may also have up to $20 on their account to purchase special snacks as a privilege for positive behavior. Money can be brought in during visitation hours or any other time at the main entrance. All clothing and hygiene items are issued by the detention home.

Weekend Detention and Weekend Work Program 

My child is court ordered to spend weekends in detention. What is the drop-off and pick-up procedure?
Your child must arrive at the detention home after 6 p.m. on the Friday of the weekend his detention starts. The child can then be picked up at the same time on Sunday as he or she arrived on Friday.

Example: A child dropped off at 7:15 p.m. on Friday must be picked up at 7:15 p.m. Sunday.

My child is court ordered to the Weekend Work Program. What is the drop-off and pick-up procedure?
If your child has been court ordered to the Weekend Work Program, you must first sign him or her up by meeting with the Program Coordinator at the Detention Home. You may contact Kevin Brunner at 706-2159. After your child has been accepted into the Weekend Work Program, he may be dropped off between 8:15 and 8:30 a.m. in the big parking lot on the side of the building (near the picnic tables). Pick-up is at 3:30 p.m. that day in the same location.

Mail, School and Religious Services 

Are juveniles allowed to send and receive mail?
Residents are provided scheduled opportunities for writing letters to anyone except a resident of another juvenile-detention or correctional facility. Pencils, paper, and envelopes will be provided by the Juvenile Detention Home. Staff will collect the sealed envelopes and mail them. Staff is not permitted to read mail. It is important that residents address outgoing mail properly and clearly.

Incoming mail will be distributed daily. While the Juvenile Detention Home staff will not read mail, it will be opened to inspect for contraband.

How should I address mail to a juvenile?
Juvenile's name
9600 Krause Road
Chesterfield, VA 23832

Will my child be attending school while in detention?
Yes. State law requires that juveniles attend school while in detention, even if the youth has graduated or has received a GED. For more information regarding your child's education please contact the Detention Home Education Department at 804-706-2160.

Does the Juvenile Detention Home offer religious services?
Yes. Religious activities are offered regularly and participation is strictly voluntary. Parents or an assigned probation officer may make special arrangements during business hours through Juvenile Detention Home administrative staff for individual religious counseling. For more information please call 804-748-1460.

Parent Resources 

I have a child who is out of control and will not listen. What can I do?
If your child is defiant and out of control, call Mental Health Support Services at 804-768-7204. Parents with particular challenges may also wish to contact Prevention Services for a consultation at 804-768-7800.

Can I bring my child to the detention home and admit him or her to teach them a lesson?
No. The youths in detention are put there by court order. The Juvenile Detention Home does not have any type of "scared straight" program.

How do I get information about services for my juvenile?
Call the Chesterfield Department of Youth Planning and Development at 804-796-7100. Their mission is to enhance the quality of life for youths and families in Chesterfield County, to promote development and to prevent delinquency.

Other services may be found by calling Mental Health Support Services at 804-768-7204 or Prevention Services at 804-768-7800.

Related Content

12-29-14 Winter Classes to Help Ensure Healthy Families

About Mental Health Support Services

Chesterfield County Public Library Annual Report

Emergency Communications Center - Frequently Asked Questions