Welcome to the Office of Internal Audit website. Our office is responsible to County and School Board management for performing operational, financial, compliance, and program result audits, as well as conducting special audits and non-audit projects.
Our Mission Statement
The mission of the Office of Internal Audit is to work with management to provide the citizens and students of Chesterfield an efficient, customer oriented government with the highest ethics and integrity.
Our goal is to help lead the County and School Board efforts to achieve missions, goals and objectives through excellence in Internal Audit services.
The Chesterfield County Office of Internal Audit was established in September 1978. The office is responsible to County and School Board management for performing operational, financial, compliance, and program result audits, as well as conducting special audits and non-audit projects. The operating guidelines for Internal Audit are adopted from Government Auditing Standards, issued by the Comptroller General of the United States, Government Accountability Office. Internal Audit independently collects and analyzes information on County and School Board operations.
Staff members are competitively recruited from both the public and private sectors. Auditors generally have business degrees and are also certified public accountants, certified internal auditors, certified fraud examiners, or certified information systems auditors.
Internal Audit saves County taxpayers' funds by assisting the external auditor annually in completion of the annual audit. Additionally, the office continually identifies and helps County departments implement cost saving ideas or suggestions that improve service to the citizens of Chesterfield County.
Specifically, audits include the following five broad categories:
- Reviewing the reliability and integrity of financial and operating information and the means used to identify, measure, classify, and report such information.
- Reviewing the systems established to ensure compliance with those policies, plans and procedures, laws and regulations that could have a significant impact on Chesterfield County.
- Reviewing the means of safeguarding assets and, as appropriate, verifying the existence of such assets.
- Appraising the economy and efficiency with which resources are applied.
- Reviewing operations or programs to determine if results are consistent with established goals and whether the operations are being carried out as planned.
Internal Audit staff members participate as a member and/or committee chair or officer in one or more of the following professional organizations: