Hover here for Site Tools
Obtain Utilities Plan Approval
FacebookTwitterYouTubeMedia CenterRSS
Contact Us

Director of Utilities
George B. Hayes, P.E.


Main Phone Numbers
804-751-4607 FAX

Billing Questions

Water/Wastewater Emergencies

After Business Hours, Weekends and Holidays

Lobby Hours
8:30 a.m. -5 p.m.
Monday-Friday, excluding holidays

Mailing Address
Chesterfield County Utilities
P.O. Box 608
Chesterfield, VA 23832-0009

Street Address
9840 Government Center Parkway
Chesterfield, VA 23832Map this 

Directory of Services 

Miss Utility (Call Before You Dig) 

Obtain Utilities Plan Approval

How to Obtain Utilities Plan Approval

Development in Chesterfield County requires utilities plan approval. Utilities plan approval is necessary to ensure the plans conform with the most recent Chesterfield County Water and Wastewater Facilities Plan and the Chesterfield County Water and Sewer Specifications and Procedures Manual. For complex projects and projects which require special considerations, the engineer should schedule a meeting with the Chesterfield Utilities staff to discuss the approach to be taken to supply water and wastewater service. All water and wastewater systems must be located and sized properly to serve the entire service area in conformance with the county's approved Facilities Plan.

Plan Approval

Prior to the construction of a public utility facility and issuance of any building permits, the engineer must submit three (3) sets [only one (1) set is required for sites] of water and/or wastewater plans on standard sheet sizes of 24" x 36." The plan should reflect the detail design of the section to be constructed. For review and approval of plans, submittals must be sent directly to the Planning Department for new subdivisions and commercial/industrial site developments; and the Utilities Department's Development Section for all other projects.

Water and wastewater plans must be designed by a Virginia licensed registered professional Civil Engineer or Professional Surveyor with a Class B license.

The Utilities Department requires the engineer to furnish evidence that all other local, state and federal agencies have reviewed and approved the plans for installation of the water and/or wastewater lines as it relates to design, erosion control, location, etc. Prior to utility construction, the erosion control inspector must notify the Development Section that all environmental requirements have been met.

The engineer shall coordinate with Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) the location of all proposed water and/or wastewater lines within all existing and proposed road rights of way with regard to existing and proposed roads and drainage structures. In addition, coordination shall be made with other appropriate utility companies (e.g., Virginia Power, telephone companies, gas companies, railroad rights of way, etc.) with regard to their existing and/or proposed easements, rights of way, and facilities.

Along with the first submittal of plans, the engineer must sign a completed copy of the engineer's checklist for water and wastewater plans. This checklist can be found in the most recent copy of the Chesterfield County Water and Sewer Specifications Procedures Manual. The plans will be reviewed and comments regarding the utility designs will be sent to the Planning Department for residential subdivision and commercial site plans. These comments will be available for viewing over the Internet at subdivision comments and site plan comments. When the revisions are made, the engineer must resubmit revised plans for final review. A letter of approval will be sent when all the county's criteria have been met.

Release to Construction

Prior to releasing a project to the Utilities Department's Construction Section, all water and/or wastewater easements, outside the boundaries of the new subdivision and/or within a complex not recorded by a subdivision plat, must be dedicated to the county.

The developer's contractor should complete a VDOT application for permission to install the proposed water and/or wastewater lines within state rights of way. A separate highway permit is required for each utility line. The engineer shall be responsible for furnishing the necessary extra plans and having the developer/owner or authorized agent pay the appropriate permit fee.

The developer/owner must enter into a county/developer contract. A copy of the utility contractor's accepted bid proposal for the construction of the proposed utility system and a completed copy of "Information Required for Contract" form must be submitted to the Development Section of Chesterfield Utilities so that the county/developer contract can be prepared. The unit price bid proposals shall be based on the approved water and/or wastewater plans and all work must be performed by an acceptable Class "A" license and county approved utilities contractor who specializes in the installation of public water and/or wastewater lines.

Where the developer/owner may be eligible to receive county refunds, the developer/owner must comply in strict accordance with the current county policies and Chesterfield County Ordinance. The Board of Supervisors must approve the contracts where refunds are involved, prior to the contractor beginning construction. The developer/owner needs to allow sufficient time (2-4 weeks) for the contracts with refunds to be approved by the Board of Supervisors.

Prior to water construction, the engineer must submit to the Chesterfield County Utilities construction staff a road grade letter which will verify that the entire proposed road rights of way where the water lines are to be installed have been graded to within six (6) inches of final subgrade or in the case where the roads are not defined, the contractor must provide cut sheets to the inspector. Evidence that the contractor has obtained the necessary highway permits must be given to the construction inspector.

Upon meeting all the above criteria, the contractor must give the Chesterfield Utilities Construction Section at least 48 hours notice before construction may begin. At such time, a pre-construction meeting is required and shall be arranged by the contractor and the Construction Section. Notification shall be given to the Engineering Supervisor at (804) 796-7125 or Construction Inspection Supervisor at (804) 751-4651.

The following information is available by contacting the Chesterfield County Utilities Development Section at (804) 748-1869:

  • Chesterfield County Utilities Ordinance
  • Chesterfield County Water and Sewer Specifications and Procedures Manual

The following information is available by contacting the Chesterfield County Planning Department at (804)748-1050:

  • Obtain Road Plan Approval
  • Request a Rezoning or Conditional Use  
  • Obtain Subdivision Approval
  • Participate in the Site Plan Process
  • Obtain Erosion Control Approval
  • Chesterfield County Zoning Ordinance
  • Chesterfield County Subdivision Ordinance
  • Chesterfield County Erosion Control Ordinance

Download this information as a PDF.