Hover here for Site Tools
Frequently Asked Questions for Sheriff's Office
FacebookTwitterYouTubeMedia CenterRSS
Contact Us

Karl S. Leonard 

Hours of Operation
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Main Sheriff's Office Phone Number

Jail Lobby Hours
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Main County Jail Phone Number

Emergencies call 911 

Email Us  

Mailing Address
Chesterfield County Sheriff's Office
P.O. Box 940
Chesterfield, VA 23832-0001

Street Address
(Main Office)
9500 Courthouse Road
Chesterfield, VA 23832
Map this  

(County Jail)
6900 Mimms Drive
Chesterfield, VA 23832
Map this 


Sheriffs Office
Frequently Asked Questions for Sheriff's Office

Court Fines

How are Court fines paid?   

  • Court fines are paid in the clerk's office of the court having jurisdiction of the case.


How do I obtain a marriage license, concealed weapons permit or documents related to property? 

  • Go to the Circuit Court Clerk's Office

How do I obtain a business license? 

  • Go to the Treasurer's Office located at 9901 Lori Road, Room 101 or call (804) 748-1201.
  • Once you have received your business license, you need to register the business name with the CICT Clerk's Office.


How do I have fingerprints taken for employment purposes?   

  • Go to the Chesterfield Police Department (Forensics Section) located at 10031 Iron Bridge Road, Chesterfield, VA 23832 or call (804) 748-1381.

How do I have sex offender fingerprints taken?   

  • Go to the first-floor security station at the Circuit/General District Courthouse or call (804) 748-1261.

Warrant, Civil Paper Service

How do I have an outstanding civil paper served on me

  • Go to the Sheriff's Office ground floor security office, 9500 Courthouse Rd, Chesterfield, VA 23832 or call (804) 748-1261.

Where do I go if I have an outstanding warrant? 

  • Go to the front lobby of the jail, 6900 Mimms Drive, Chesterfield, VA 23832 and ask for the assistance of a Deputy Sheriff.

How do I file a Warrant in Debt?   

  • Go to the General District Clerk's Office, 9500 Courthouse Rd, Chesterfield, VA 23832 .
  • Paperwork for this process is located outside the Clerk's Office in the lobby.

How do I get information about the service of legal process?  

  • Contact the Sheriff's Office Civil Process Unit at (804) 751-4412 or (804) 748-1997.

Criminal Complaint/ Arrest

How do I file a criminal complaint? 

  • Contact the Magistrates Office. 
  • Go to the Magistrate's Office at 6900 Mimms Drive, Chesterfield, VA 23832.

What happens when a person is taken into custody at the courthouse? 

  • If the person is going to jail, they will be transported as soon as possible depending on transportation workloads (several minutes to a couple of hours).
  • If the person is going to be released, they have to go through a verification process that could take up to 30 minutes.
    • Once released the individual will be escorted to the lobby area outside of the courtrooms.
    • Call (804) 796-7197 for further information.

Juvenile/Domestic Issues

 How do I contact the Juvenile Detention Center

  • Call (804) 748-1460.
  • The physical address is 9600 Krause Road, Chesterfield, VA 23832

NOTE: The Sheriff's Office has no affiliation with the Juvenile Detention Center.

Where do I file paperwork regarding motions to amend or the completion of community service? 

  • File this paperwork with the Juvenile & Domestic Court Clerk's Office, 7000 Lucy Corr Boulevard, Chesterfield, VA 23832.

How do I file paperwork for custody, support, protective order or speak with a senior advocate

  • Go to the Court Services Unit located on the first floor of the Juvenile & Domestic Courthouse, 7000 Lucy Corr Boulevard, Chesterfield, VA 23832.

NOTE:  If an order for custody or support is already in place and you want to amend that order, you need to go to the Juvenile Court Clerk's Office.

Inmate/Jail Questions

How do I get general information regarding inmates at the jail?  

  • Please call (804) 748-1476 to access the jail automated information system

How do I get information regarding inmate incarceration, inmate's number, current charges, court dates, bond amounts, sentence information, transfer information and/or inmate programs?  

  • Please call the jail at (804) 748-1466

How do I correspond with an inmate?  

  • All correspondence with inmates must take place through the mail service. To send mail to an inmate include
    • Inmate's Name/Inmate Number
    • Send to

Chesterfield County Jail
P. O. Box 758
Chesterfield, VA 23832

How do I submit money for inmate accounts? (for inmate to order canteen):

  • Kiosk (in lobby of jail) using Cash or Visa/Master Card (Min. $2.50 fee)
  • By Internet – www.jailatm.com (Min. $2.50 fee) 
  • A usage fee will apply to any of the above deposits/options.

NOTE:  The Chesterfield County Jail cannot accept cashier’s checks or money orders for deposit into an inmate’s account. 

Can Family or Friend submit money for inmate to order canteen? 

NOTE: To obtain information regarding when inmates can order canteen or questions related to inmate commissary, please call the Canteen Office at 804-748-1488.

What items are accepted at the jail?  

  • The following items can be accepted at the jail front lobby on behalf of inmates between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., Monday-Friday:
    • Prescription/Reading Glasses
    • Prescription Medications (Medications must be in the proper prescription container with the inmate's name and current date)
  • Clothing for Circuit Court appearances (One set of Pants, Shirt, Dress Coat, Belt, Tie, Socks, Shoes or a combination of). 
    • Court clothing items must be picked up within 15 days after being sentenced.
    • To arrange pickup of court clothing please call 768-7345.
  • Newspapers, magazines and paperback books can only be sent to an inmate if it is mailed directly from a publisher to the jail and with prior jail approval. 
    • To receive approval for these items please call 768-7345.

When is visitation?  

Monday – Thursday
8:30 a.m. – 11 a.m.
5:30 p.m. – 8 p.m.

  • All visits are 30 minutes long and a maximum of three people at a time may visit.
  • Visitors are required to show a valid picture ID.
  • An adult must accompany anyone under the age of 18.

Are out-of-town visits allowed?  

  • Out-of-Town Visits-must be pre-approved by a Jail Supervisor.
  • If approved, you must produce a valid picture ID, and there is a four-person maximum.
  • To be pre-approved, please call (804) 748-1829 or (804) 768-7327.

How do I call an inmate?  

  • Inmate phone calls at the time of incarceration are free and last 3-minutes.
  • After the inmate is moved to a regular housing area (normally within one day), all inmate calls become "collect calls" and may last up to 30-minutes.
  • The inmate phone system vendor for the Chesterfield County Jail is Global Tel Link (GTL).  
    • For information regarding receiving phone calls and blocking phone calls, please call a GTL representative at 1-866-230-7761.
    • For information on current rates, pre-payment, calling a cell phone and/or any other related questions, please call a GTL representative at 1-877-650-4249.

Can messages be gotten to inmates?  

  • Messages cannot be passed to inmates unless the message is of an emergency nature such as family illness, death etc. 
    • They will be verified as being an emergency by the Sheriff's Office prior to delivering it to the inmate.
  • To have an emergency message forwarded please contact the Jail.


How do I bond out someone?  

  • All bonding activities take place at the Magistrate's Office, which adjoins the Chesterfield County Jail.
  • To receive bond information, speak with an on duty Magistrate by calling (804) 748-1410.
  • The Magistrate's Office is open 24/7 and bonds may be posted at any time.

NOTE: A third party, regardless of whether or not the inmate has the funds available on his/her inmate account, must post a bond. This can be accomplished through friends, family or bonding companies. Bonding companies can be found in the yellow pages.

Where do I go to pick up someone being released from jail?  

  • All inmates being released can be picked up at the side gate adjacent to the Magistrate's Office.
  • The following applies for releases:
    • Due to paperwork verification and out-processing requirements, Court releases and/or bonds can take up to 30-minutes before the inmate is physically out the door.
    • Serve Sentence releases take place as close to 11:00 a. m. as possible on the inmate's release day. 


How do I retrieve property confiscated from an inmate subsequent to arrest?  

  • Please call the Chesterfield Police Department at (804) 748-1269.

How do I have a vehicle towed/impounded?"  

  • Please call the Chesterfield Police Department at (804) 748-1269.

How do I retrieve property that is in the possession of the Chesterfield County Jail?  

  • The inmate will have to sign a property release form authorizing you to accept the property.  Come to the jail lobby to have the form completed.

NOTE:  The original clothing items that an inmate was wearing at the time of their incarceration cannot be released..

Contact Information

What departments are housed in the Chesterfield County Main Courthouse? 

Sheriffs Office (804) 748-1261
Circuit Court Clerks Office  (804) 748-1241
General District Court Clerk Office (804) 748-1231
Commonwealth's Attorney (804) 748-1221
Victim/Witness Office (804) 796-7087

What departments are housed in the Chesterfield County Juvenile & Domestic Courthouse?  

Sheriff's Court Security (804) 751-4184
JVDR Clerks Office  (804) 748-1379
Commonwealth's Attorney  (804) 748-1341
Court Services (804) 748-1372

How do attorneys receive an access card?  

How do I contact Chesterfield-Colonial Heights Community Corrections?  

  • Chesterfield Community Corrections is located at 10111 Krause Rd., Chesterfield, VA
    (804) 717-2250

What if I have a jail question that isn't covered on this list?  

  • Any questions not covered can be referred to the on-duty Jail Supervisor at 748-1829 or 768-7327


How do I apply to become a Chesterfield County Deputy Sheriff?  

  • Hiring for positions within the Sheriff's Office is done through the Chesterfield County Human Resources Department located at 9901 Lori Road, Room #305.
  • You can access a 24-hour job line by calling (804) 768-7777 or through Human Resources.

What is the difference between the Sheriff's Office and the Police Department?  

The main responsibilities of the Chesterfield County Sheriff's Office are to

  • maintain the County Jail
  • provide security for the County Courts
  • serve various legal papers throughout the county

Though all Sheriff's Deputies maintain and use arrest authority, the Chesterfield County Police Department is the agency responsible for the majority of criminal investigations, as well as traffic enforcement and patrol duties in the county.

Office History

Featured Content

Sheriff Logo 

Upcoming Events

No Events