Thanksgiving Holiday Closings... MORE

Hover here for Site Tools
Historical Sites
 
FacebookTwitterYouTubeMedia CenterRSS
Contact Us

Director of Parks & Recreation
James Worsley, Ph.D., CPRE

Phone Numbers
Parks and Recreation
804-748-1623

Parks Maintenance
804-748-1624

Fax
804-751-4131

Closing Hotline
804-748-1001
 

Department Email
parksrec@chesterfield.gov


Hours
Registration and Payments
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Office Hours
8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
 

Mailing Address
Parks & Recreation
PO Box 40
Chesterfield, VA 23832-0040

Street Address
6801 Mimms Loop
Chesterfield, VA 23832
Map this 

 

Parks and Facilities
Historical Sites

BATTERY DANTZLER

1820 Battery Dantzler Road
Chester, VA 23836

Battery DantzlerThis Confederate battery is the northern end of the Howlett Line that bottled up Butler’s forces on the Bermuda Hundred peninsula. The fort was named for Col. Olin Miller Dantzler, 22d South Carolina Infantry, who was killed in action nearby. In January 1865, the Battle of Trent’s Reach, one of the last naval actions of the war, took place at the foot of Battery Dantzler. During the battle, three Confederate ironclads were stopped when they tried to force their way downriver to attack Grant’s supply base at City Point. The site has an excellent view of the old James River channel and a handicap-accessible viewing platform is located near the parking area.

See the Park Layout 

Park Amenities 

  • Trail & Boardwalk (0.1 mile)
  • Interpretive Signage

Additional Information 


CASTLEWOOD

10201 Iron Bridge Road
Chesterfield, VA 23832

Castlewood3Castlewood is an 1817 plantation house with unique architectural elements. It is located near the Chesterfield Courthouse Complex on the corner of Route 10 and Krause Roads. The house serves as headquarters for the Chesterfield Historical Society. Hours of operation are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday to Friday. 

Additional Information 


EPPINGTON PLANTATION

14602 Eppes Falls Road
Chesterfield, VA 23838

Eppington2Eppington was built about 1770 by Francis Eppes VI. Thomas Jefferson, Eppes' brother-in-law, was a frequent visitor. Jefferson called Eppes the "nation's first horticulturalist" and praised Eppes' scientific farming techniques, including cultivating tobacco. Monticello slaves such as Sally Hemmings worked and lived at Eppington while Jefferson was minister to France. Later, it was at Eppington that Jefferson received President George Washington's invitation to become the nation's first secretary of state.

Eppington is on the Virginia Landmarks Register and National Register of Historic Places. It reflects the earliest American formal architectural style. Eppington's original fabrics, painted surfaces, carved metals and wainscoting are studied today. Eppington displays personal items of the various families who once inhabited the house. It is open to small tour groups by reservation only or during special programs.

See the Park Layout 

Additional Information 


FALLING CREEK IRONWORKS

6407 Jefferson Davis Highway
North Chesterfield, VA 23234

Falling CreekFalling Creek Ironworks Park is the site of the first ironworks in English North America.

Two years after Capt. Bluett selected the site for iron production in 1619, a second expedition led by John Berkley, his son Maurice and 20 ironworkers arrived at Falling Creek. Although Berkley wrote to the Virginia Company that he would produce iron for them by the spring of the next year, the Powhatan Indians included the ironworks in their colony-wide attack and massacre on March 22, 1622. Although several attempts to restore the ironworks occurred, none were successful.

In 1760, Archibald Cary built a forge on the north side of Falling Creek. The forge proved to be unprofitable, so Cary turned his attention to a grist mill, which was destroyed during the American Revolution. The mill was rebuilt in the 1850s by John Watkins and was active until about 1906. The stone foundations on the north side of the creek are the remains of that mill.
The site is open for tours by reservation only.

See the Park LFalling Creek Ironworks Map Layout 

Additional Information 


FORT STEVENS

8900 Pams Avenue
North Chesterfield, VA 23237

Fort Stevens was constructed in 1862 after the Seven Days Campaign, as part of the defenses of Richmond. The fort was the pivotal point for a Confederate counter-attack during the Second Battle of Drewry’s Bluff on May 16, 1864, where Confederates halted Gen. Butler’s Army of the James in its advance toward Richmond. This was the largest battle of the Bermuda Hundred Campaign, involving over 35,000 troops. The park includes picnic areas and a trail along the earthworks.

See the Park Layout 

Park Amenities 

  • Walking Trail (0.1 mile)
  • Interpretive Signage
  • Picnic Area

Additional Information 


FORT WEAD

1107 Greyledge Boulevard
Chester, VA 23836

Fort WeadFort Wead was constructed in June of 1864 and named after Col. Frederick Wead of the 98th New York who was killed in action at Cold Harbor. The fort was built in the rear of the main Union defensive line to prevent Confederate forces from advancing in the event the main lines were captured.

See the Park Layout 

Park Amenities 

  • Walking Trail (0.1 mile)
  • Interpretive Signage

Additional Information 


HOWLETT LINE

14100 Howlett Line Drive
South Chesterfield, VA 23834

HowlettLineThe park, named for the line of Confederate earthworks that once stretched for more than three miles from the James River to the Appomattox River, still has one of the artillery positions placed along that line. These provided interlocking fields of fire that enabled the Confederates to cover the entire front with a minimum of infantry support. On June 2, 1864, Col. Olin M. Dantzler led an attack toward a nearby Federal position known as Fort Dutton. Dantzler moved his men to within 150 yards of the Union fort, pushing back part of the 7th Connecticut, before he and 16 of his men were killed. The park features a trail with interpretive signage.

See the Park Layout 

Park Amenities 

  • Walking Trail (0.1 mile)
  • Interpretive Signage

Additional Information 


MAGNOLIA GRANGE

10020 Iron Bridge Road
Chesterfield, VA 23832

Magnolia Grange2Magnolia Grange, located across from the Chesterfield Courthouse Complex, is a Virginia Historic Landmark and is on the National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1822 by William Winfree, Magnolia Grange is a handsome Federal-style plantation house named after the circle of magnolia trees that once graced its front lawn. Located on the original property were a tavern and gristmill in addition to the residence and its outbuildings.

Additional Information 


MID-LOTHIAN COAL MINES PARK

13301 N. Woolridge Road
Midlothian, VA 23114

MidloMinesThe first commercially mined coal in America came from Midlothian, where it was discovered near the French Huguenot settlement on the James River around 1701. Although used locally for many years, it was first commercially mined in the 1730s. Coal from the mines here was used to fire the furnaces at Tredegar Iron Works in Richmond. Tredegar was the main supplier of artillery and iron for the Confederacy. Today, visitors can view the stone ruins from the park trails.

See the Park Layout 

Park Amenities 

  • Walking Trails (0.9 mile)
  • Interpretive Signage

Additional Information 


SERGEANT JAMES ENGLE PARK

13924 Tobacco Bay Place
Chester, VA 23836

Sergeant James Engle ParkThis park is named after Sgt. James E. Engle, of Company I, 97th Pennsylvania Volunteers. During a skirmish on May 18, 1864, Engle volunteered to carry ammunition from this area to soldiers at the front. He remained there, distributing ammunition under constant fire, for the rest of the day. Members of his regiment recommended him for the Congressional Medal of Honor, which he was awarded in 1896. The park is located next to Fort Wead.

See the Park Layout 

Park Amenities 

  • Walking Trail (0.28 mile)
  • Interpretive Signage

Additional Information 

Current Conditions
Forecast icon
Mostly Clear
31°F
Feels Like
25°F
Humidity : 96%
Winds : SSW @ 6 mph
Pressure : 29.91
Visibility : 6
Featured Content
Facebook logo  Twitter logo 
Parks and Recreation is on Facebook and Twitter! 

 James River Parade of Lights 

25th James River Parade of Lights
Saturday, Dec. 9
7:30 p.m.
 

 
Upcoming Events

 
Quick Links