Historic Sites Venue Map
The Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia, established on September 23, 1981, serves as the center for Chesterfield County history. The mission of the Historical Society is to collect, preserve, interpret and promote Chesterfield County’s unique past.
The Historical Society provides quality programs, exhibits and information to support educational goals. The exhibits in the museum and Magnolia Grange are in partnership with Chesterfield County.
Located at Castlewood, the library of the Chesterfield Historical Society is a research facility. It focuses primarily on the history of the county and its families. The collection has been carefully assembled and preserved through the years by members and friends of the Historical Society. The library maintains manuscript collections, vertical files, maps and pictures. The public is welcome to make use of the library free of charge.
The Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia head office and research library has relocated to Historic Trinity Church, 10111 Iron Bridge Road. Entry is off Krause Road, adjacent to the School Board offices.
Eppington was built about 1770 by Francis Eppes VI. Thomas Jefferson, Eppes' brother-in-law, was a frequent visitor. Jefferson called Eppes the "nation's first horticulturalist" and praised Eppes' scientific farming techniques, including cultivating tobacco. Monticello slaves such as Sally Hemmings worked and lived at Eppington while Jefferson was minister to France. Later, it was at Eppington that Jefferson received President George Washington's invitation to become the nation's first secretary of state.
Eppington is on the Virginia Landmarks Register and National Register of Historic Places. It reflects the earliest American formal architectural style. Eppington's original fabrics, painted surfaces, carved metals and wainscoting are studied today.
Eppington displays personal items of the various families who once inhabited the house. It is open to small tour groups by reservation only. For tour information call 804-751-4946. Eppington is located at 14602 Eppes Falls Road Chesterfield, VA 23832.
The annual Eppington Heritage Day is held the first Saturday in October.
Falling Creek Ironworks Park
Falling Creek Ironworks Park is the site of the first ironworks in English North America.
In 1619, Capt. Bluett, led the first failed expedition and had selected the site at Falling Creek as having all the necessary resources for iron production close at hand.
In 1621, the second expedition led by John Berkley, his son Maurice and 20 ironworkers arrived at Falling Creek. Although Berkley wrote to the Virginia Company that he would produce iron for them by the spring of the next year, the Powhatan Indians included the ironworks in their colony-wide attack and massacre on March 22, 1622.
Maurice Berkley returned to rebuild the ironworks in 1623, but was unsuccessful. The ironworks were abandoned, and the Virginia Company lost its charter the following year. Although several attempts to restore the ironworks occurred, none were successful.
In 1760, Archibald Cary built a forge on the north side of Falling Creek. The forge proved to be unprofitable, so Cary turned his attention to a grist mill, which was destroyed during the American Revolution. The mill was rebuilt in the 1850s by John Watkins and was active until about 1906. The stone foundations on the north side of the creek are the remains of that mill. The site is open for tours by reservation only. For tour information call 751-4946. The park is located at 6407 Jeff Davis Highway North Chesterfield, VA 23234.
The annual Falling Creek Ironworks Day is held the third Saturday in March.
Today, Henricus Historical Park is re-creating the second successful English settlement in the New World. Henricus is where the American dream of success and self-reliance began.
Sir Thomas Dale, founder of the 1611 Citie of Henricus, instituted the revolutionary, but practical, concept of private land ownership. That, along with the introduction of a commercially successful strain of tobacco introduced by John Rolfe, influenced the course of American history.
The development of the first hospital, the chartering of the first college in the New World and other important events that occurred at Henricus contributed to the significant roles this settlement played in the creation of a way of life and a nation. Henricus also was the English home of Pocahontas.
Visit Henricus Historical Park and relive America's beginnings. Historical interpretation and re-enactments pay tribute to Virginia Indians and the English settlers who carved a nation out of what was then Virginia's western frontier.
Though work at the site is ongoing, Henricus is open to visitors
Continue on your historic journey through the 810-acre Dutch Gap Conservation Area, the site of Revolutionary War and Civil War action. With the James River as a backdrop, Dutch Gap is considered one of the best birding sites on the East Coast and boasts a bounty of woodlands, wildlife and waterways, plus fishing spots and six miles of trails for hiking.
The 1611 Citie of Henricus, Henricus Historical Park and the museum store are open Tuesday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
The first commercially mined coal in America came from Midlothian, where it was discovered near the French Huguenot settlement on the James River about 1701. Although used locally for many years, it was first commercially mined in the 1730s. Coal from the region was used as a source of fuel to produce weapons both during the Revolution and the American Civil War.
Coal mining in the Midlothian region declined after the Civil War due to a loss of slave labor as well as improved production in the Appalachian mountains. Most of the mines were abandoned in the 1920s. During the 1930s, the state allowed citizens to carry away free coal to heat their homes. The last mine operating in Chesterfield County was in Salisbury as late as November 1942.
The mission of the Mid-Lothian Mines and Rail Roads Foundation is to provide educational, cultural and recreational opportunities through the preservation, reconstruction and interpretation of the historic coal mining and railroad sites in and around the village of Midlothian. Tours are programs are available. For information call 751-4946. The park is located at 13301 N. Woolridge Road, Midlothian, VA 23112.
The annual Midlothian Mines Day event is held the third Saturday in October.