Emergency Management - Emergency Shelters
Emergency Shelters in Chesterfield County are designated as any public school. High Schools are chosen first because they have the most resources. Other criteria for opening a school for a shelter would include proximity to the event.
If you should need emergency shelter, make sure you bring the following with you:
- One gallon of water per person, per day and food that won't spoil, like canned goods. Include a manual can opener.
- Emergency tools such as a battery-powered radio, flashlight and extra batteries.
- First aid kit that includes a list of any allergies and contact lenses or an extra pair of glasses.
- At least a three- to five-day supply of medications.
- Sanitation supplies including: toilet paper, soap, plastic garbage bags and personal hygiene supplies.
- A change of clothing, footwear and blanket, pillow or sleeping bag.
- Extra set of car keys; cash in small denominations or traveler's checks.
- Special items for infant, elderly or disabled family members such as disposable diapers, baby food, walkers, canes or familiar comfort items.
- Personal entertainment, such as cards, handheld video games with extra batteries, books.