Emergency Management - Emergency Shelters
Emergency Shelters in Chesterfield County are designated as any public school. High Schools are chosen first because they have the most resources. Other criteria for opening a school for a shelter would include proximity to the event. Stay tuned to radio station 1630 AM for information on which school is activated for an emergency shelter before, during or after an emergency event.
If you should need emergency shelter, make sure you bring the following with you:
- One gallon of water per person, per day and food that won't spoil, like canned goods. Include a manual can opener.
- Emergency tools such as a battery-powered radio, flashlight and extra batteries.
- First aid kit that includes a list of any allergies and contact lenses or an extra pair of glasses.
- At least a three- to five-day supply of medications.
- Sanitation supplies including: toilet paper, soap, plastic garbage bags and personal hygiene supplies.
- A change of clothing, footwear and blanket, pillow or sleeping bag.
- Extra set of car keys; cash in small denominations or traveler's checks.
- Special items for infant, elderly or disabled family members such as disposable diapers, baby food, walkers, canes or familiar comfort items.
- Personal entertainment, such as cards, handheld video games with extra batteries, books.