The Chesterfield County’s Coordinated Transportation Program, Access Chesterfield, provides non Medicaid transportation services for any Chesterfield County resident who is disabled, or over age 60, or who meets federal income guidelines regarding poverty levels.
Van Go Inc. of Richmond is contracted by the Chesterfield County Access Chesterfield program to provide transportation service within the Chesterfield County, and limited service (to and from work, to and from medical appointments only) to Richmond, Petersburg, Hopewell and Colonial Heights metropolitan areas.
Access Chesterfield Passenger Guide
Levels of Service
The program offers advance reservations for ride sharing with other passengers. This is the only type of service available.
Who Is Qualified
Any Chesterfield County resident who is disabled, or over age 60, or Households 200% of Federal Poverty - Effective January 24, 2013
|Persons in household
Each Additional Person over 8 in household, add: $8,040
How it works
- A book of five vouchers is $30
- Each one-way trip regardless of length will require one voucher.
Access Chesterfield customers must be registered in order to receive transportation services. Registration requirements and eligibility information are available from the Chesterfield County Coordinated Transportation Program office.
To register, you may use the registration form in the brochure by mailing the completed registration form along with copies of qualifying documentation as listed in the brochure. Contact the Coordinated Transportation Program office at 804-279-8489 for eligibility information.
Brochures with registration forms are available at all Chesterfield County Libraries or it can be downloaded , you can also contact the Coordinated Transportation Office at 804-279-8489 and have one mailed to your house.
Once a customer is registered and approved they will be issued a membership card, by presenting this membership card the customer may purchase discounted travel vouchers at any Chesterfield County Library. Vouchers are to be used with the designated transportation company, Van Go Inc. of Richmond by calling 804-261-7388 to schedule reservations.
Transportation services are provided within Chesterfield County, Richmond, Petersburg, Hopewell and Colonial Heights. Transportation services are available through advance reservations only, Monday-Friday, 5:30 a.m.-7:30 p.m., and Saturday, 5:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Please call Van Go at 804-261-7388 before 2:00 p.m. to make a reservation. Cancellation requests are accepted daily.
Reservations may be made with at least one day’s notice and up to four days before the trip date. For groups of more than 15 people, please call at least four days in advance.
Before making a reservation
- Plan ahead since same-day service is not available.
- Fares are quoted for one-way trips. If a return trip is needed, then the amount is doubled.
- To make a reservation
- Call Van Go Inc. of Richmond at 804-261-7388 to make a reservation.
- The passenger must be identified as an Access Chesterfield customer when the reservation is made.
- The requested pickup time and address, as well as the delivery location and address, are provided to the reservation agent. If a return trip is needed, please notify the agent and give the pickup time.
- If an aide will accompany the passenger, please notify the reservation agent. Eligible passengers may travel with one aide free of charge. An aide must be an adult 18 years old or older.
- If wheelchair accessibility is required, please notify the reservation agent.
- The reservation agent will give a pickup window time, the fare amount and a confirmation number. The confirmation number should be written in the appropriate box on the customer's ride voucher.
- To change the time of a scheduled ride
- Reservation changes should be made at least one hour ahead of the original travel time, or as soon as changes are known.
- If changes are not made until the day that the ride is scheduled, please be aware that the provider may not be able to accommodate the request due to space availability.
- To cancel a scheduled trip
- Cancellation calls can be made to Van Go 24 hours a day, seven days a week. For a pickup time before 8 a.m., the cancellation must be received before 2:30 p.m. on the previous day.
- Passengers need to give the confirmation number received when the reservation was originally scheduled.
- Cancelations made less than an hour from the start of the pick-up window will be counted as a no show.
- Passengers may have up to two no shows in any 30-day period. After the third no show, a 30-day suspension of service will be issued. See Terms You Need To Know.
- When the van arrives
- Remember to bring trip vouchers to give to the driver at the beginning of the trip. The driver will fill in any remaining information on the vouchers and ask for the passenger's signature at the end of the trip. Drivers do not expect tips. The same procedure is repeated on return trips.
- If the vouchers are not presented for payment at the time of the driver's arrival, then passengers will be charged with a No Show. (Please see "Terms You Need To Know" in this guide.)
- Drivers may assist passengers into and out of the van.
- Terms You Need To Know
- Pickup Window - the time frame when the driver should arrive
- No-shows - if the rider fails to take a scheduled ride when the vehicle arrives within the pickup window, Cancels a trip within an hour of pick up, or if the rider does not have vouchers available.
- Late trips - if the driver fails to pick up a rider within the pickup window. Riders contact the provider and make the reservation agent aware that they have not been picked up.
- Onboard travel time - Under normal operating conditions, riders should not be subject to trips longer than 90 minutes.
- For an emergency not related to transportation services, please dial 911.
- In the event of an accident or emergency while on the van, please remain calm and follow the instructions of the driver.
- Please immediately inform the driver, if you become ill or notice another passenger who may be ill.
- Passengers are responsible for attaining access at homes or destinations, or in having someone to meet them when dropped off.
- There are situations when a trip may take longer than expected. Please bring any necessary medications or medically related snacks.
Other Transportation Resources
Suggestions or Comments
For questions or comments about a specific trip, please call the transportation provider. To make suggestions or comments about the Access Chesterfield program, please call 804-279-8489.